Question / Help USB mic issue

gtadem

Here is my log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/MCJ1Py3Nf3w4z8zG

Recently, the microphone on my headset started having a ton of noise on the line. It had come with a USB adapter, so I started using that. I've gone into Win10's settings and disabled the red mic port and enabled my USB microphone. I told Win10 to listen to the device. I can hear myself through the speakers, which is terribly annoying since this isn't how microphones are supposed to behave.

Anyways, relevant to OBS: I double checked my Audio Input Capture Source. It's set to the default. Or sometimes I manually set it to the USB mic. Either way, OBS shows no levels. It does however pick it up via Desktop Audio. Before anybody guesses that that should be good enough, it's not and here's why: The only way I've found to not hear myself through the speakers is to tell Win10 to play back the mic through a device I'm not using. But since OBS isn't picking up my USB mic, if I did that, I would not be able to record voice overs.

Can anybody help or point me in the right direction? Searches online only seem to pertain to enabling hearing yourself through the microphone. Thank you for your time.

FabriA

Maybe you set "Monitor And Output" (or Monitor) in Audio Advanced Settings? It appears from your Log that your monitoring device is "Default", which - I assume - are the speakers. In this case, setting "No monitor" on the Mic might solve your issue. Let us know.

gtadem

It sounds like you're talking bout what I'm experiencing. But I'm not sure how to do what you suggest. This is what I see when I run mmsys.cpl and go to the microphone settings:
temp.jpg

carlmmii

Uncheck "Listen to this device". That is telling windows to take your microphone signal and output it to whichever device you have selected (which would be your speakers). This is not required to be checked for any program to latch onto the mic signal -- it's entirely extra.

Uncheck "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device".

Finally, make sure OBS is allowed to use your microphone by windows. Windows settings -> Privacy -> Microphone. Make sure you have allowed apps to access the microphone, and OBS is listed and enabled.

gtadem

Thank you, carlmmii! Not only did all of this leave me in a situation where everything is exactly as I'd want/expect, but your explanation of it will help me in the future also.

Now if only I could figure out what has my microphone port all full of feedback... At least this is a sustainable workaround that doesn't require me to flip settings all the time :)