Question / Help USB Audio interfaces inputs sound is wavy/echoey

hamburglin

Hi. I'm having an issue with my audio interfaces not producing the correct sound. They do come through during recording and streaming, but it sounds like every few milliseconds the sound is blank. Play a song, now hit your mute button as fast as you can over and over. That's what it sounds like, and one interface is way worse (quicker alternation) than the other!

My actual interfaces are a yamaha usb mixer and a Roland electronic drumset. The drumset was working fine with this last year. Computer has changed since then but is new and top of the line. CPU is overclocked from 4.0ghz base up to 4.6ghz

Where do I start trouble shooting this? There are very few audio options. I've disabled desktop and mic audio inputs and tried every bitrate option. MIC webcam audio input works as expected!!! No choppiness there.

Anyone have any ideas? Screenshot of my setup is attached.

Attachments

• obs audio problems 1.jpg
    obs audio problems 1.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 123
  • 2016-01-24 22-19-14.txt
    8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
This is going to sounds really stupid, but trust me on this: does it sound better if you install Apple's iTunes?

hamburglin

Welp, I can't tell you all why or how, but it seems like a restart made it work FOR RECORDING ONLY.

The STREAM still has the same issues. In fact, when I record when streaming the recording is bad too! Webcam mic is fine!

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Because when you install iTunes, it comes with the CoreAudio AAC encoder. Without CoreAudio, on Windows 7 OBS will use the FFmpeg AAC encoder instead, which is much worse quality.

hamburglin

@dodgepong - Makes some sense, but that doesn't explain why the recording is fine, but the streaming is not. Shouldn't everything be identical minus.... whatever is special about streaming? I guess it's worth a shot.

@Susilik V - I saw that. Can't confirm if it sounds the same because the video is down. However, I already tried all of my usb ports. I guess I can still check those settings mentioned, as well ass retuning my CPU's overclock back down to normal. Just doesn't seem to make sense now that I realize recording works but streaming doesn't...

This is for krue.tv by the way.

Last edited:

Videophile

Elgato
Also, these are the specs for my mixer usb interface: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_sound/mixers/analog-mixers/mg_xu_model/mg10xu/

"192 kHz, Bit Depth: 24-bit" - Does this work with OBS?

My buffer, via yamaha's steinberg drivers, is set to 64 (as low as it can go). Should I be trying to match my audio buffer delay in the options to line up with this?
I'd recommend setting it to 48kHz. Same with OBS. this will make sure there is no resampling being done to the audio, which can cause artifacts, or other weird sounding issues.

24/192 Music Downloads
...and why they make no sense

hamburglin

The only thing I can set on the mixer is the sampling rate vis a small driver app on my computer. I don't think it's possible to change the khz or bit depth, unless the third party software that uses it (obs here) actually changes it somehow. Oh, I guess maybe the built in windows audio devices are can control this?

I'll try 44.1 and 48 today, though I thought I tried that already when troubleshooting.

hamburglin

So I found the problem and feel silly for not trying it earlier...

The issue was happening only when I was watching my own stream while streaming. Closing the browser fixed it.

hamburglin

Still not sure why that would affect the audio interfaces the way it did. Again, the mics always work fine in any situation.