URGENT Stuck on "Stopping Recording" (Log Included)

duckdodgers

Hey folks,

I'm really hoping for a miracle here. I have been using OBS under Windows 10 to record legal proceedings for 3 weeks now for my job. It's been smooth sailing, but I suddenly hit a snag today. I'm really freaking out here, so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help, because it seems like I have a corrupted file and I need to fix it and not have to tell my boss about this.

I was recording as usual and then was told that we are taking a break. As usual, I clicked on "Stop Recording" and it just hung on "Stopping Recording" and I panicked and decided to shut OBS down. I opened OBS back up and when everyone came back, we continued the meeting. The file after we continued is fine, but the file created our before we took the break is corrupted.

I just tried to move the corrupted file to another directory and an alert popped up that the file cannot be moved and is still open in obs-ffmeg-mux.exe. I am really hoping I can salvage the file. I am afraid to open OBS again in case the file is still salvageable, so I just uploaded the obs log to my website. Here it is:

What should I do?

Thanks!!!!!!
Jake

duckdodgers

Hey all,

Just a quick update, still trying to figure out what went wrong today. I actually bought a copy of Wondershare video repair to try to fix this, but it didn't work. The first 30 seconds of the file are okay and then things get kind of psychedelic in an unintentional way. I just want to make sure this doesn't happen again. Does anyone know what I can do to keep this from happening again?

Thanks again
Jake

Tomasz Góral

Why you use MP4 for recording?
For this problems use MKV file.

Use free FFMPEG from ffmpeg.org.
in command line type: ffmpeg -i brokenfile.mp4 -c copy newfile.mp4

duckdodgers

Why you use MP4 for recording?
For this problems use MKV file.

Use free FFMPEG from ffmpeg.org.
in command line type: ffmpeg -i brokenfile.mp4 -c copy newfile.mp4

Thanks for the reply! I will try FFMPEG. The problem with using MKV is that my bosses want me to upload mp4 files. If I record as MKV, I would need to convert 6 hours of footage from MKV to mp4 before I upload. Won't this take a lot of time?

Tomasz Góral

ffmpeg -i video.mkv -c copy video.mp4

-c copy - because mkv and mp4 is container and inside h.264 no need reencode only copy data.

duckdodgers

Hey guys,

Still having this same issue, even after switching from mp4 to mkv encoding. Today we started and stopped recording a few times with no problems and then at 12:00 in the log file, we started recording again. At 12:43, it says "No output Packet, encoder is overloaded!" in the log file but there was never an error message in OBS to let me know about this! Why wouldn't an alert come up??

I was able to salvage everything up to 12:43, but that's it. I lost about 17 minutes of very important footage. What should I do? It seems to be a problem with AMF, so I'm going to try software encoding again, I guess. Please help, this is for my job and I really don't want to lose it. Here's the logfile:

Thanks again everyone!