Question / Help Upgraded to Windows 10, Lost around 100FPS while streaming and while OBS is open

Glonn

I'm not getting any encoding errors or frame loss, my FPS just goes from 250 to 70 with OBS open, even if I'm not streaming, which is actually noticeably lagging me.

Using the multimedia platform recently upgraded and I just started to try and stream again after upgrading to Windows 10.

Any thoughts?

https://gist.github.com/d9473361978ba223c190

Cryonic

Its a well known problem, OBS hits really hard on the CPU while using windows10, for no reason. I cant stream with my old settings that i used on 8.1, with the same hardware but newer drivers (that gave us more performance in games actually). There in no fix around for that stuff, what works for me is lowering my settings and just generally throw money at the encoder.

Osiris

I have no such fps hit on Windows 10, it goes from 300 to 180-250 on a i5 3570k in CSGO. 720p@60fps, with OBS using about 20% cpu on average (ultrafast)

But you should set the cpu preset back to veryfast, faster mayb too much for your cpu.

Last edited:

Glonn

I have no such fps hit on Windows 10, it goes from 300 to 180-250 on a i5 3570k in CSGO. 720p@60fps, with OBS using about 20% cpu on average (ultrafast)

But you should set the cpu preset back to veryfast, faster mayb too much for your cpu.
Getting the same amount of fps, 60 right now While obs is open + streaming

Says around 32% cpu use too

Cryonic

League of Legends, 1080p 60FPS veryfast in OBS. FPS without OBS active: 250-500. With OBS running (preview, all 3 capture methods, same CPU load and same FPS): around 100-130FPS, peak ~180, dropping below 100 sometimes.
The CPU usage is also really high.
Before i could actually use 1080p 60fps FAST preset without hitting the CPU limit. Right now i hit the CPU limit with faster preset, only LoL, Chrome and background stuff running, OBS is peaking around 60% CPU there.
And this is LoL, that game is really easy to encode, there is nothing going on.

No idea what went wrong, i still can stream, but the quality is way lower than what i could squeeze out before.

I will open my own thread, hijacking this one with my own logs is stupid. But i can say one thing: many people have problems with Windows 10 even after the fix with v0.655b.

Osiris

I noticed game capture is using memory capture instead of shared texture capture. And memory capture has worse performance then shared texture capture.
Do you happen to have multi-adapter compatibility enabled in the game capture settings?

This is what my game capture settings look like:

img_1439251477_xTa2WVIgwvg.png

When i have Multi-adapter compatibility enabled my fps also dips below the triple digits.

Glonn

I noticed game capture is using memory capture instead of shared texture capture. And memory capture has worse performance then shared texture capture.
Do you happen to have multi-adapter compatibility enabled in the game capture settings?

This is what my game capture settings look like:

img_1439251477_xTa2WVIgwvg.png

When i have Multi-adapter compatibility enabled my fps also dips below the triple digits.

Mine is basically that but I don't have fullscreen application checked off. i just did though.

And no it's not checked off.

Osiris

It should not be checked, or is that what you mean?
If it's not checked then I don't know what is causing it to use memory capture, i know that's what's causing your problem.
Im not really familiar with the game capture code.

Glonn

It should not be checked, or is that what you mean?
If it's not checked then I don't know what is causing it to use memory capture, i know that's what's causing your problem.
Im not really familiar with the game capture code.
It's not . What do you recommend i do then?

VooDoo

A lot of people are having issues w/ the upgrade installs, but on a proper installation win 10 is pretty good.

DEDRICK

Have you tried launching 64bit OBS?
Disabling your webcam,
Using "Capture Any Fullscreen Application" in Game Capture instead of Exe specific.
Disabling the preview.
Does your audio Sample Rate match your Device Sample rate
Double check you don't have it on OpenGL, this happened to me

Last edited: