Upgrade broke v42lsink, reinstall causes "GPU may not be supported" error

DaveDixon

Everything was working swimmingly yesterday. Then, at some point, I agreed to upgrade OBS Studio. Then it didn't work - v4l2 option missing from Tools menu. So I uninstalled obs-studio, obs-plugins, v4l2loopback-dkms, deleted v4l2sink from /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. Reinstalled (apt install) and now I get the dreaded "Failed to initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may need to be updated." Graphics card works fine for desktop, browser, YouTube. OpenGL version 4.60. Log is short - see attached.

Attachments

• obstudio.log
    1.7 KB · Views: 6

Harold

Then you did not get it from the official ppa.

1615397250747.png

DaveDixon

Right, official in the sense it's from the Fossa repository, not the latest from the obsproject PPA. The PPA release is the one that broke v4l2sink which is why I went back to the official Fossa release. Since I must have something that works with Zoom. Except I didn't expect the reversion from 26.1.1 to break graphics drivers (which, of course, it didn't do - obs was misinterpreting some other failure).
So what did 26.1.1 break that makes the Fossa release not work anymore?

Harold

Unknown, as we don't maintain the fossa release. It's also on a version that outright doesn't have the virtual camera output.

And calling the "Fossa release" official is a misnomer, as it is not maintained by the OBS project team in any way.

DaveDixon

OK, good to know that obs-studio from the Canonical repository is not official. From where did it come, then?
So, I'm getting the hint from your reply that I should be looking for Virtual Camera and not v4l2sink. So I will start there. Thanks!!

Harold

It came from a maintainer in canonical most likely.

The virtual camera output in the official 26.x version uses the v4l2loopback system to generate the virtual camera device.