Unusually large recording file sizes all of a sudden

jamiethepayne

So I used to only use OBS to make recordings with my 3DS capture card, and used the Elgato capture software to record all other consoles via HDMI. OBS always seemed to have more reasonable file sizes compared to the Elgato software.

I've recently transitioned over to capturing everything from OBS after having major sound desyncs when recording 50hz games in the elgato software. Kept all the same settings as 3DS recordings (although switching from 50fps to 60fps depending on console and game as I'm in PAL land).

Played through and recorded Zelda, Zelda 2 and Super Mario World on NES and SNES through an upscaler and an Elgato HD60S. I got very similar file sizes as I did when recording DS and 3DS games. Around 2GB per 30 mins of recording.

But after recording a full playthrough of Crash Bandicoot on PS1 and currency working through Crash 2, I noticed that the files are way bigger. Around 11GB per 30 mins.

I have no idea why this would be the case. I haven't changed the settings in any way, and if I had by accident, I imagine I'd see a difference somewhere between my 50fps recording profile and my 60, but I don't.

I'm recording the Crash games at a wider aspect ratio than the other games, so there's less of a black border. But I can't imagine that'd have such a significant impact on file size. And if it does, I'm dreading to record HD games that take up the full 1920x1080 window.

Any ideas?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Your log only shows you opening and closing OBS, you need a log from when the problem happens.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
cqp: 15

I'm not sure if you were using something else before, but CQP of 15 is very high quality. Try in the range of 15-25 (larger being smaller files and lower quality) until you get the desired file size / quality combination. Keep in mind CQP based recording sizes can vary a huge amount based on the amount of motion being recorded - fast paced FPS games will see much bigger files than an RTS game or side-scrollers for example.

jamiethepayne

I figured that might be it, but I haven't changed the quality settings at all since I've been recording with obs and could tolerate the file sizes before. Many 3DS games I recorded seemed to be just as fast paced as Crash was but the file sizes were fine. I always convert my files with handbrake though and they eventually end up on youtube, so I can probably take a hit on quality of the initial file. I'll give it a tinker. Thanks!