Question / Help Unstable upload speeds with twitch

Laocorn

The last couple times I have tried to stream, my upload speeds have been awful, constantly in the red and orange. I'm still in the same setup, same area, it used to be perfectly clear, in the green. I ran my speedtest and gave me a 1.89 upload, I stream at 720p, 60fps and 3000 kbps, going lower kbps doesn't help. What do I do?

edit: Actually looks like speedtest.net showed twitch as being problematic and led me here https://downdetector.com/status/twitch/
So this is widespread?

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
The COVID-19 situation is causing some ISPs to have local congestion at peak times due to the amount of internet use by everyone.

FerretBomb

Network throughput is 95% out of your control. It can change drastically without you making any changes on your end, if someone between you and the server you're trying to get to has an issue.

Also, Speedtest is 99% worthless for livestreamers. It tests peak throughput, rather than constant minimum throughput. In fact, it throws out around the worst 30% of results over time, as they don't matter so much when you're watching a video or browsing webpages (but absolutely do for livestreaming).
Instead, use R1CH's Twitch Bandwidth Tester, if you stream to Twitch:

You want a Quality score of at least 80, preferring 100. If you get zero across the board, your connection likely has a major issue, rather than a server in the middle.

Laocorn

^I will give that a look.

This many weeks later, twitch is still behaving the exact same. I've since started streaming with mixers FTL server and it has been nearly flawless. What's the deal here? Is it Mixer having less traffic? FTL being that much better?