Question / Help Unique situation - got stuck with 2 hd60

Descartes Truth

Hey all, new to all this.

I'm a film school grad, so I'm very familiar with camera and editing stuff, but just wrapping my head around streaming.

Once upon a time I was going to do a couples stream with my gf, so I bought 2 stream set ups (2xhd60's , 2x tonor mics with accessories, 2 xboxes, 2 TV's etc).
Unfortunately we broke up before I set everything up.

So since I have all this free time with covid-19, I'm setting up my stream. I have a spare Panasonic gh4 I could dedicate to it.

The capture card (El gato hd60) can do either my tv (console) or my camera, but not both (apparently you can't use two El Gatos hd60's in OBS).

Is there someway I can use/Jerry rig 2x hd60 to stream from my console and my DSLR?

Can I stream from my camera to a window on my PC, and capture that window in an OBS layer above the gameplay layer?

If not... What CAN I do with two hd60's?? other than offer a giveaway on a stream someday

FerretBomb

I'm pretty certain you can use two HD60 units on one system. If you're having an issue, it would be a good idea to reach out to Elgato Support for assistance with their hardware... they know it a lot better, and definitely are competent with getting it set up in OBS.

To be clear, are these HD60 Pro, HD60S units, or the older original HD60 type which are USB 2.0? Hopefully they are NOT the last of the three. If they are, I'd recommend selling them as quickly as possible and moving to either the internal Pro, or external S (USB 3.0) model. The USB 2.0 have a sizable list of drawbacks, most notably including a 2-second capture delay that cannot be resolved... an artifact of having to encode the incoming video to fit over the insufficient bandwidth that a USB 2.0 connection provides.

I'd also recommend plugging your DSLR into a TV to check the HDMI out; many do not provide a clean HDMI output, and bake in the camera UI and informational overlays, making them useless for a realtime face-cam. Good to check before planning on how to spend out to use it as one.

Descartes Truth

I'm pretty certain you can use two HD60 units on one system. If you're having an issue, it would be a good idea to reach out to Elgato Support for assistance with their hardware... they know it a lot better, and definitely are competent with getting it set up in OBS.

To be clear, are these HD60 Pro, HD60S units, or the older original HD60 type which are USB 2.0? Hopefully they are NOT the last of the three. If they are, I'd recommend selling them as quickly as possible and moving to either the internal Pro, or external S (USB 3.0) model. The USB 2.0 have a sizable list of drawbacks, most notably including a 2-second capture delay that cannot be resolved... an artifact of having to encode the incoming video to fit over the insufficient bandwidth that a USB 2.0 connection provides.

I'd also recommend plugging your DSLR into a TV to check the HDMI out; many do not provide a clean HDMI output, and bake in the camera UI and informational overlays, making them useless for a realtime face-cam. Good to check before planning on how to spend out to use it as one.
They are the original hd60, USB 2.0 :/ I got these awhile back, the hd60s was brand new and it didn't seem like I would need the features it was touting (play from record screen... Plus I was buying two so wanted to save money where I could). I will probably buy an hd60s and cam link at some point, I just wanna know what my options are with what I already had laying around. Was hoping some people had clever solutions, like the eos app for Canon cameras :/

FerretBomb

They are the original hd60, USB 2.0 :/ I got these awhile back, the hd60s was brand new and it didn't seem like I would need the features it was touting (play from record screen... Plus I was buying two so wanted to save money where I could). I will probably buy an hd60s and cam link at some point, I just wanna know what my options are with what I already had laying around. Was hoping some people had clever solutions, like the eos app for Canon cameras :/
There really aren't any. And while capturing the EOS app is a workaround, it's extremely poor quality compared to an HDMI capture (just saying, I wouldn't really call it a 'solution').
You can use them and try to work around the 2-second delay, adding render delays to all of your other realtime sources (each one will need four 500ms ones added, which is going to murder your GPU's VRAM), then re-sync all your audio as well.