Question / Help Two monitors, different resolutions, causing issues!

EpicPumpy

Hi guys!

Very new to gaming PC’s and streaming so please bear with me. I’m trying to play a game, say Fortnite, on my 4K monitor, which is my primary monitor, and then use OBS to record/stream on my secondary 1080p monitor.

I’ve set up the game/display capture sources, and changed the canvas size to 4K and output to 1080p, but when I click the game to play it, my OBS disappears onto my main monitor, and then when I minimise to drag it back, the game is showing as full screen on the OBS preview, but only taking a quarter of my main monitor?! Then when I try to click on the game to change it, it shows full screen, but click again and it goes back to the small size.

No matter what I’ve tried I can’t seem to fix it, does anyone know how to help? Is there anyway to lock OBS to one screen and how to correct the issue with different resolutions?

Many thanks in advance!

Sukiyucky

You should only be using one OBS screen type, not two in the same scene.
Start over. Remove the scene.

Create a Scene called "Stage Game Capture"
Click the Stage Game Capture Scene
Add a Game Capture source
  • Mode: Capture any fullscreen application
  • Leave the rest alone
After you hit OK button, notice inside the preview window it will be black and have a little red handle bar in the upper left hand corner
This is because you either don't have Fortnite up and running and/or you didn't set Fortnite to fullscreen mode
If it is set in a Window mode, it may not fully span the entire 4K of your screen. So set it to fullscreen mode. Then, grab the red handle bars and have it span the entire preview window. Then, click the lock icon next to the game capture source to lock it in place.

EpicPumpy

I had a tinker before i saw this and ran fortnite in window mode (but full screen if you know what i mean) and had 0 issues! I think it's because when the app is set to full screen and i then click onto OBS, it attempts to 'minimize' the app causing issues. I'll test what you've said soon though and see if it helps for fullscreen mode.

Many thanks for taking the time to read and assist!

EpicPumpy

I was also having issues that when i did try to click out onto OBS to amend something, it would disappear onto my 'main' screen, which was extremely annoying. However, when in windowed mode, no issues with this occurred.

EpicPumpy

You should only be using one OBS screen type, not two in the same scene.
Start over. Remove the scene.

Create a Scene called "Stage Game Capture"
Click the Stage Game Capture Scene
Add a Game Capture source
  • Mode: Capture any fullscreen application
  • Leave the rest alone
After you hit OK button, notice inside the preview window it will be black and have a little red handle bar in the upper left hand corner
This is because you either don't have Fortnite up and running and/or you didn't set Fortnite to fullscreen mode
If it is set in a Window mode, it may not fully span the entire 4K of your screen. So set it to fullscreen mode. Then, grab the red handle bars and have it span the entire preview window. Then, click the lock icon next to the game capture source to lock it in place.

Dude!

This worked, thanks so much! When i click on the OBS screen my game on the other screen goes temporarily smaller, but when i then click back onto the game it loads back full screen and plays normal!

Thanks so much