Question / Help Trouble with capturing older games (Dungeon Siege 2)

AraToken

I've tried to capture a lot of older games and i managed to get some of them to work.. but Dungeon Siege 2 is still giving me a lot of trouble...

I use OBS Studio 19.0.3 via Windows 7, here's what i already tried:

- Everytime when i use game capture, i just got a blackscreen (OBS Studio got no trouble finding the game, but all i got is sound and a blackscreen),
- Window capture is not possible because i can't run the game in window mode.
- Screen capture does not work either because everytime when i tab into the game i just get a blackscreen (like in game capture)
- I tried to change my settings for the game & obs and determined which graphic card which one should use. (Because i use a Laptop with Intel HD Graphics and a Nvidia Geforece GT 540M,) I try to run almost everything over my Nvidia because of performance reasons but the blackscreen issue is still there. Same problem via Intel HD.
- Running both applications as administrator doesn't work either
- Enable/disable anti cheat hook did not work

I also read the thread about laptops who got blackscreens because of different graphic cards but sadly. it did not helped.

About the game: I use the Dungeon Siege 2 Steam version, the game itself is from 2005 and (as i already said) there's no way to start the game in windowed mode.. as far as i know. I tried that a year ago but was unsuccessful.

Can someone recommend me some more possible solutions? I'm thankful for every answer.

Hucomanser

Hey, AraToken.

I'm 3 years late, and I think you got yet a solution. Anyway, I'm gonna post this here for other people who still have your problem.

I'm trying to recor Dungeon Siege game, from Steam, and I got the same problem as you.

I've found three solutions:

1. I've used Screen Capture, and it worked! But game's highest resolution is 1042x768, and my monitor is 1680x1050. The recording was the game in the upper left corner, and the rest of the screen, blackscreen.

2. I've changed the resolution from Windows, to the game's resolution. Now, started recording (with Screen Capture), and the game was fullscreen, but quality wasn't too high.

3. In this link you can see how to run the game with HD resolution: https://steamcommunity.com/app/39190/discussions/0/620696522225972749/
It didn't work for me, there was a message "DirectPlay needed" and I had to install it. I was too lazy to do it, but if you got to do it, maybe you can record the game in 1920x1080 without problems.

NOTE: -My resolution: 1680x1050
- GTX 960

-OBS 23.2.1 (64-bit)
-codifier: nvenc_h264 (libx264)