Question / Help Trouble getting any picture out of Xbox 360 using OBS MP

Chris Brenden

I'm using a blackmagic intensity shuttle, and through the blackmagic media express program I can record and get picture to my tv flawlessly. When using OBS (using the same 720p 59,94 settings), my TV now has a blue screen and OBS a black one. I dont understand how this would happen, seeing as the settings for each program are identically set. I can use OBS with my Wii to record and it works fine, just has trouble with the 360 :/

log file: https://gist.github.com/670b808a933091b88613

TheMuso

Could you please explain in more detail how you have things set up? Are you connecting the output of the BlackMagic to your TV, or are you using an HDMI splitter? I would strongly recommend you use the latter setup, as it will ensure you do not have any latency when playing games.

Its likely that the Media Express software outputs whatever its receiving directly, but I don't think OBs does this when capturing from the BlackMagic.

There should be no difference in capturing from the Wii U or the Xbox 360.

Chris Brenden

Yes, sorry for the lack of clarity.

My xbox is inputting 720p component into my intensity shuttle, and outputting HDMI directly into the TV.

It's not Wii U, just Wii (480p).

TheMuso

Ah ok. Does your Xbox 360 have HDMI out? If so, try using HDMI out from the Xbox into your BlackMagic device. As for using the Wii via component, I thought BlackMagic devices only supported 480p via HDMI, interesting.

Chris Brenden

Nah the blackmagic shuttle has hdmi, component, and composite inputs/outputs! And hmm since I don't have a HDCP stripper (HDMI splitter), I don't know if I'll be able to get any video at all :/ I'll try it however, and let you know!

ChuckieJ

Xbox One engages HDCP if you watch any content (Netflix, Plex, Youtube, & I think even Halo Channel). If you watch content as much as I do you pretty much have to do a full reboot to get the HDCP to disengage so you can stream. It does not disengage when you quit the app you were using.

Chris Brenden

Can anyone help my original problem (doesn't have anything to do with HDCP anyways)? It's confusing and very frustrating...

ChuckieJ

I'm using the Elgato for gameplay and the Shuttle for hooking in a camcorder. All I can suggest is to try other settings. Try having the Xbox send 1080i and try having the Shuttle accept 1080i at all the possible Hz's.

Chris Brenden

I figured out why it wasn't working!!

So I have 3 different scenes: One for Halo, one for League of Legends, and one for Smash Bros. I had a blackmagic device added to the "Smash Bros." scene, and when creating my "Halo" scene, instead of adding existing I added a new one. Now 720p and 1080i work with OBS (and Blackmagic Media Express) perfectly with an HDMI input and output, however I have a black screen for both the laptop and the TV when trying 1080p (for both OBS and Blackmagic Media Express)...

I'm overjoyed that at least now I have a picture with OBS and I can finally stream Halo!! <3

As an extra, anyone know why I can't do 1080p? Is it an HDCP issue? Would getting an HDMI splitter/HDCP stripper help me achieve 1080p? Should I start a different thread with this question?

Haha thanks for the help guys!! Lemme know if you can help me with this smaller problem :D