Timed Auto Take to specific scene

broadcastguy

I just discovered OBS Studio yesterday and I've been experimenting with it non-stop since. Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this free and powerful software.

I'm a former TV director/technical director and I'm wondering if OBS can accomplish what I'd like to do. I've created many alpha animations and they overlay beautifully with perfect transparency thank you to the improvements in Media Source. What I've done is create a scene with camera, cut to the next scene with same camera and animation overlay that eventually covers the whole screen - and when it does that I need to take another pre-determined scene within so many milliseconds so that when it reveals, there are two boxes (one is webcam and one is Skype) underneath.

Thankfully the scenes don't restart the animations if the following scene contains the same Media Source item.

Is there a way to accomplish this using anything already existing in OBS? I'd be forever grateful if someone could teach me the ways.

Thank you!

broadcastguy

Yes and no. Clip Transitions would be really great between scenes, but what I'm asking is this:
You would be on Scene X, cut to Scene Y and then after, say, 300ms it automatically cuts to Scene Z (which has been predetermined in advance or is linked to Scene Y somehow).

Far simpler, I would think, than actually using clip transitions between scenes, as you're just taking whatever is on preview to program within a certain amount of time. I say this having virtually no clue how the coding works, etc.

Is that clearer than my first, very convoluted, post? Sorry, trying to speak geek and not doing a very good job.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
I understand what you mean, and I think we're talking about the same thing. In vMix, these are called stinger transitions. Essentially you have the scene on program and the scene on preview, and hit the transition button, which starts playing a media source on what is essentially a DSK, and after a pre-determined about of time (which the user sets to synchronize with the moment the media clip takes up the whole screen), the underlying scene on preview takes to program, and the overlay clip finishes. Much like you would see on a sports broadcast. This just cuts out the "Scene Y" middleman, and can apply to any arbitrary scene pairs.

broadcastguy

You obviously know your stuff. I dig it.

I'd like to have the transition from Scene X be persistent on Scene Z as it turns into a double box (which is why I've included Scene Y - as it contains the Media Source that persists on Scene Z).

I've included a link below to illustrate what I'm talking about exactly. I created this in OBS, hot punching the scenes to give the same effect I'm trying to achieve.

I'm sorry in advance if we're not supposed to post links.

http://dropcanvas.com/0jrx1

Last edited: