The one feature that would make OBS beat everything else: Replay Buffer

JamieG193

I know that the replay buffer is available in other OBS versions, and that it is confirmed that this feature is coming to OBS Studio, but I just want to stress how important this feature really is.

When looking for recording software, these are the features I absolutely need:
  1. Can record using Nvidia NVENC H.264 encoder.
  2. Able to record game audio and mic audio as separate tracks.
  3. Can save/record the last X minutes of gameplay (aka replay buffer).

Almost all other recording programs out there have at least one of these features, but not all.
  • Dxtory can do feature 2, but not 1 or 3.
  • Shadowplay can do feature 1 and 3, but not 2.
  • Bandicam can do feature 1 and 2, but not 3.
  • Fraps can do feature 3, but not 1 or 2.
  • OBS Studio can do feature 1 and 2, but not 3.
  • OBS Classic can do feature 1 and 3, but not 2.
So as we can see, all of the above programs are missing at least one of these features. This stresses how important feature 3 is for OBS (at least to me). As soon as OBS has all 3 of the mentioned features, it will blow all other programs out of the water - I would only ever need to use OBS, and I'm sure countless others would feel the same.

P.S
I'm aware OBS was designed primarily for streaming and so a replay buffer is not a priority. I just wanted to stress how much of an impact adding a replay buffer would have on the potential market share. I'm hoping this post escalates the priority of this feature on the 'todo' list :)

Last edited:

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
As you already know, replay buffer is planned for OBS Studio. It's worth mentioning, though, that "market share" isn't really a meaningful motivation for free open source software, as there is no money being made.