Question / Help Technical Question regarding Capture Cards and OBS.

SSVaiyn

I'll try to make this as short and less complicated as possible here haha.

- I just have one PC (Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, EVGA Nvidia RTX 2060, 32GB Ram)
- I have a Razer Ripsaw HD HDMI Capture Card for streaming my consoles
- In OBS I have the encoder set to NVENC

Does having the encoder set to NVENC actually make things worse if I'm streaming Console games and not PC games?

Would I only use the NVENC option for streaming PC games?

Any questions please let me know. I'm just trying to figure things out haha.

carlmmii

This question ultimately comes down to the quality comparison of what nvenc can provide vs what your computer can achieve using x264 on your CPU.

In your case, since you have an RTX 2060, this has the new turing encoder, which will get you quality matching or exceeding x264 medium. Your CPU might be able to hit x264 medium for 720p60, but that's about it.

In your situation, using nvenc is probably going to give you the best results overall.

FerretBomb

In your case, since you have an RTX 2060, this has the new turing encoder, which will get you quality matching or exceeding x264 medium. Your CPU might be able to hit x264 medium for 720p60, but that's about it.

In your situation, using nvenc is probably going to give you the best results overall.
New testing places the Turing encode at around x264 Slow; it wins some tests by a few points, loses in a couple by a few points. Agreed though, NVENC is the way to go in this case.

No, streaming from a console via capture card won't have any negative impact over streaming a game on the system natively.
The only 'why would you do that' is the people who use a capture card to cap a game being played on the computer itself, which is an un-necessary loop out and back causing extra system overhead. Still won't affect the encode, just is like driving to the other end of town and then back just to visit your neighbor, instead of just walking next door (game/window capture).