Question / Help Syphon Black Screen, help!

PurpleCosmos

Hiya,

I recently installed OBS 0.6.1 to capture some gameplay, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to use Syphon for capture.

Can someone please help me with my problem?

1) I open my game, OBS, and SyphonInjector.
2) I choose the game I want to capture, and click 'inject'. (the inject button shows it's been pressed, but nothing happens afterwards. I assume that's intentional behaviour?)
3) I go back to OBS and click on the green plus underneath sources, then select 'Syphon'.
4) It gives me a message to Create New, or Add Existing.

After that, It doesn't matter if I create new or select an existing option, the result is always the same. I get a black screen with a tiny red circle in the upper left corner. If I select 'fit to screen', a red rectangle outlines the borders of the screen, but it's still black. How do I fix this? I've tried it with a few different games and they all have the same outcome. Is it perhaps a problem with the SyphonInject? I've included a screenshot of the black screen to help you identify what's going on.

Thanks

Attachments

• OBS black screen.png
    OBS black screen.png
    121.7 KB · Views: 75

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
In the Syphon Source, there should be a drop-down listing all valid Syphon servers that you can select, including you game, which should have the word [Injected] before it. Are you sure you've selected that?

PurpleCosmos

Hi, dodgepong

After selecting Syphon as the source and the drop down menu appears, I don't see [Injected] with the name of my game listed there. Instead, I only see the names that I've manually entered when it asked me to 'create new'. Is this the correct drop down menu I should find the game? Or is there something else I need to look at?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 13.09.22.png
    Screen Shot 2014-12-18 at 13.09.22.png
    154.1 KB · Views: 124

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
No, after you've created the Syphon source, it should be in the properties of the Syphon source itself. Another window should apear after pressing OK in the screenshot above...THAT is the window where you select the Syphon Server from the dropdown.

PurpleCosmos

Hi dodgepong

Once I press ok, the selection appears in the sources, but the window of which you speak of doesn't show up. The drop down menu stays until I press cancel, and trying to view the properties of the Syphon source doesn't have any effect. The properties button shows as if it's been clicked, but nothing happens. Right clicking and selecting properties also has the same results.

Is this a bug? Any idea how I can fix it?

Many thanks

Last edited:

PurpleCosmos

Hi, dodgepong

Nope, I don't see that screen.

I've uploaded a video which might help you figure out what's going on. Apologies for the bad quality.
http://youtu.be/IQXdpaNhGKc

As you can see, after clicking ok on the drop down menu, the name gets added to source but nothing else happens. No other windows show and the properties button as well as right click>properties doesn't work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Can you open properties of other sources?

Can you try clearing out ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio/basic/scenes.json and try again?

PurpleCosmos

Hi dodgepong

I can open the properties of the other sources. The properties window also pops up after I click OK, like you said the Syphon source should.

Just tried clearing the scenes.json as advised, but the result is still the same.

Thanks

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Try this: Uninstall OBS, completely delete the ~/Library/Application Support/obs-studio folder, then re-install OBS and try again.

PurpleCosmos

Hi dodgepong, sorry for the late reply. I've been busy getting ready for Christmas and haven't had the time to sit down with OBS.

Just tried what you suggested, and unfortunately the issue still persists. Any ideas?

Thanks

Narcogen

I have the same issue with 0.82. I can create a syphon source but it only shows a black screen and the properties are inaccessible. Trashing the app support folder multiple times and reinstalling has had no effect (although this does fix other issues that occur, such as the inability to connect to streaming services).