Switching between Scenes that use Window Capture WILL CRASH OBS

lcalder

multiple CRASH LOGS and Regular LOGS can be found at this dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h2hblidgo05d9l5/AABQn7MlmZho75gt4XsdrNcDa?dl=0

Also attached below.

Switching between Scenes that use Window Capture WILL CRASH OBS. I can get it to crash within a minute every time if I am using somewhat complex scenes.

I tried making a new scene collection with only three scenes:

1. Main (Has video capture, window capture)

2. Zoom (just captures a Zoom meeting window)

3. Microsoft Whiteboard (just captures a Microsoft Whiteboard window)

This simple scene collection will crash, but I have to switch between them many more times before it crashes. I have tried removing almost all my plugins on my more complex scene collection and am very sure it is not a plugin, but OBS itself.

All of the above use Windows Graphics Capture (windows 10 1903 and up), with Match title, otherwise find windows of same type, with Capture Cursor, and Client Area both checked. (However modifying these will also still produce the crash).

In OBS 26.0.2 I would launch OBS then try switching between the three scenes and after about 10 times it would just close with no error.

In OBS 26.1 I would launch OBS then try switching between the three scenes and after about 10 times it would crash with an "Oops! OBS has crashed" message.

Many times it will crash but leave an OBS background process running - so when I go to relaunch it says it is still running, which I have to kill before launching a new process.

Attachments

• Crash 2020-12-14 22-46-52.txt
    150 KB · Views: 30
  • Crash 2020-12-14 22-48-37.txt
    150 KB · Views: 22
  • Crash 2020-12-14 22-50-54.txt
    148.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Crash 2020-12-15 17-07-26.txt
    150 KB · Views: 18
  • Crash 2020-12-15 18-24-18.txt
    137.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Crash 2020-12-15 18-40-50.txt
    138.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 2020-12-15 18-29-26.txt
    12.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2020-12-15 18-30-16.txt
    11.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 2020-12-15 18-30-54.txt
    13 KB · Views: 14
  • 2020-12-15 18-32-43.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 16

lcalder

Never any replies... does anyone know how to debug the
Fault address: 7FFE5241D759 (c:\windows\system32\kernelbase.dll)
ALL of the crashes fault at the same address? Does no one have a debugger?

lcalder

If this helps I will definitely leave a tip..
I have had these mysterious crashes constantly for about a month. I have tried removing of the plugins one by one that I installed and it still crashes in the kernelbase.dll...
I check for updates for all plugins and for the obs main project every few days or more often. The serenby link gives a download that is from April 28 of 2020... Is that the latest?
Also, over the past several weeks I have updated my NVIDIA RTX 2080 Ti Drivers as each of the latest drivers came out.

I am streaming using virtualcamera to zoom using 1080p... My monitors are 4k but it is easier to use a base canvas that matches my streaming resolution... No? Would that cause obs to crash?
I will play around with this and also change YUV to partial.
Thanks for responding.
I will let you know if it helps.

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm on OBS v25.0.8 (waiting a bit as reliability is more important, and I don't need the new OBS features yet)
I'm using 25+ scenes, with a Window Capture (of a PowerPoint windowed slide show) for last 8+ months, and scene changing does NOT cause a crash. The only plug-in I'm using is Advanced Scene Switcher. Rock solid/stable

lcalder

I'm on OBS v25.0.8 (waiting a bit as reliability is more important, and I don't need the new OBS features yet)
I'm using 25+ scenes, with a Window Capture (of a PowerPoint windowed slide show) for last 8+ months, and scene changing does NOT cause a crash. The only plug-in I'm using is Advanced Scene Switcher. Rock solid/stable
Thanks for the info. My scene collection used to be rock solid stable too, but then went to hell for some reason. I don't know why it keeps faulting in kernelbase.dll. I have tried using screen capture instead of windows capture for microsoft whiteboard and it runs much more stable, however will still crash every few hours - my zoom scene projector window first freezes at which point I know its going to crash and then I try to exit and will get the Oops! OBS has crashed! message. This unfortunately often leaves a shadow copy of OBS running because when I relaunch OBS it says it is already running, so I need to pull up task manager and kill it first and then relaunch OBS.

I tried removing Advanced Scene Switcher and it still crashed (see original post) so now I reinstalled it because it is likely not the cause.

The only other thing I am using are some LUA clock scripts. Could they be the cause of the fault address in kernelbase.dll?

Lawrence_SoCal

The only other thing I am using are some LUA clock scripts. Could they be the cause of the fault address in kernelbase.dll?
I use the samed, and had no issue
Today though I tried using OBS's VLC player to play 4 ~1min videos back-to-back
OBS got unstable (odd UI responses in unrelated scenes, etc), so exited and sure enough a crash. Happened a few times in a row... seems to have settled down... OBS media player plays the videos just fine. VLC... not so much...[simple Android phone 4K video, color corrected in Premier, in MP4 format)... ugh... oh well

premiumsomdier

i know im late to the party in this forum, but i figured out that if you have 2 monitors and lets say 1 monitor is 1080p60 that has obs on it, and the other is 1440p144 that is your monitor that is being used to capture the content, obs can crash if you have the magnification settings different on each monitor...my 1080p was at 100% magnification (recommended) but my 1440p was on 125% magnification and tabbing between the two caused the crash...also it said to try to run obs in Win 7 compadibility mode and turn off any graphics card screen overlays like Geforce Experience performance overlay...