Support "Twitch Stream Test" functionality when logged into Twitch

Normally when using a stream key, you can run a bandwidth test by editing your stream key as follows...

live_0000000_xxxxxxxxxxxx?bandwidthtest=true

This will allow you to do a real OBS broadcast to the Twitch ingest server, but it will not actually take your stream live. This will also allow the Twitch Inspector website/tool to give detailed information.

However, when logged into Twitch within OBS, there does not appear to be a way to add this to the stream key, since the key is not accessible

A "Test Stream" button could be added to the Control's panel.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
While I don't think this is a bad idea, I admit I'm curious as to what the use case typically is for this. Why do you do a test stream as opposed to using a tool like TwitchTest to verify the quality of the connection? How long do you typically run the test for? What are you usually looking for and testing during that time?

To be honest, I do not trust the TwitchTool results at all.

1: My connections to the Chicago ingest server today were dropping my frames unless I sent things to 3Mbps (I normally have streamed at 6Mbps 1080p60 with zero issues for the past 3 months). TwitchTool shows 10000kbps+ 100% quality for that server.

2: TwitchTool, when looking at the Twitch Inspector page, reports as being 0kbps. Streaming with OBS set to ?bandwidthtest=1 on the stream key sends a proper stream to their server using the reported bandwidth, and allows me to see the graph and any inconsistencies in the connection.