Super high rendering lag / stalls (Hackintosh - 10980XE, Vega 64)

itsdjbuddha

First post, want to see if anybody has an idea on this.

Have a scene that just runs a long ProRes file that's transparent. I get 0 dropped frames, but the fps is lower than 60 (file needs to be 60fps) - remember seeing 53fps but in the log:

Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 64933 (9.8%)

It runs for about 3 hours. No idea what is causing this, I have HW acceleration running fine on this machine (I edit in Final Cut Pro X with ease) - I choose to use x264 because the quality at the lower bitrate is a lot better, and I have the cores to sustain it easily.

Canvas size: 1920x1080
Output: 1280x720
Using Lanczos (this machine has 18 cores & 128 GB of DDR4-3200 and the Vega 64)

There's 8 browser sources for the emote wall (different spots, they can't overlap / hinder the logos in the stream), but when I check iStat Menus, the GPU isn't getting killed at all and my temps are fine. Also using around 5.4% CPU (video bitrate is 3850, audio is 192) CPU usage preset is set to higher

Any ideas? If I need to paste some parts or the whole log file, let me know which part or if I should just dump the whole log file in the thread.

Thanks!

Edit: Attached the log lol

Attachments

• 2021-05-08 20-37-05.txt
    14.6 KB · Views: 7

itsdjbuddha

So for anybody who's wondering. I can't believe this is a real thing.

I started adding things into my network to upgrade my network to 10GbE. So one of the things I tested was a 50 ft CAT8 cable to begin my install.

That lowered my latency by half on a speedtest. So for the hell of it, I tried OBS............ and it somehow fixed the frame rate issue and completely fixed the stall issue.

Weirdest part. I have 20 brand new CAT6 cables, and they all did the same thing. I've been able to replicate it using my old cable, using 10 of those 20 new cables (super annoying to test) and this is consistent.

I then tried this on my maxed out Macbook Pro I got last July. Exact same results. Tried different USB-C -> Ethernet dongles & a Thunderbolt 3 dock. All the exact same results.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if you have the same issue I posted above on MacOS, try at CAT8 cable.

This literally makes absolutely no feasible sense, but it worked across different machines and network interfaces.