Suddenly my OBS is losing cams and crashing

Totes

Yesterday I changed one of my 3 cams. Everything ran fine all night through 3 video chats. Today I had to take everything off my desk so I could put some polyurethane on the desktops. When I reconnected everything, suddenly OBS cannot hold onto all 3 cams. I get Cam 2 to work, I get Cam 3 to work, and Cam 1 is gone. Then I remove the video source from Scene 1 (Cam 1) , recreate the cam, it comes back to life. Then Scene 2 (Cam 2) has no video. I remove and replace it, and Scene 3 (Cam 3) has no video. And after about 10 minutes of restarting and reinstalling Cams, it just quits running and I have to close it in task manager.

Everything has been running GREAT for about 3 weeks. All that changed was that I took on OLD Logitec cam out (Cam 2) and put a much newer one in. And even after I did that yesterday it ran fine all night. Using OBS as the virtual cam for Zoom, switching scene with the Stream Deck. All running very well except for one small issue I have up in another thread, unrelated to this. Here's the log from the latest crash tonight.

Do I need to uninstall completely and reinstall?

Attachments

• 2020-06-17 21-20-16.txt
    10.1 KB · Views: 52

Sukiyucky

Two of your cameras are set to 1920x1080 while the other is set to 640x480. There are problems such as:

21:20:43.092: [DShow Device: 'Video Capture Device'] settings updated:
21:20:43.092: video device: USB Video Device
21:20:43.092: video path: \\?\usb#vid_1e4e&pid_7016&mi_00#6&18cd860d&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global
21:20:43.092: resolution: 1920x1080
21:20:43.092: flip: 0
21:20:43.092: fps: 60.00 (interval: 166666)
21:20:43.092: format: MJPEG
21:20:43.097: DShow: Run failed (0x800705AA): Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

And:
21:20:17.882: [DShow Device: 'Video Capture Device 3'] settings updated:
21:20:17.882: video device: USB Video Device
21:20:17.882: video path: \\?\usb#vid_1e4e&pid_7016&mi_00#6&18cd860d&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global
21:20:17.882: resolution: 1920x1080
21:20:17.882: flip: 0
21:20:17.882: fps: 60.00 (interval: 166666)
21:20:17.882: format: MJPEG
21:20:17.951: fatal: No JPEG data found in image
21:20:17.951: Error decoding video

Why are you setting resolution to 1920x1080 for the webcam when you are pushing out 1280x720?

21:20:17.186: video settings reset:
21:20:17.186: base resolution: 1280x720
21:20:17.186: output resolution: 1280x720

carlmmii

When running multiple webcams (specifically usb2.0 webcams), each one should ideally be connected to its own usb host controller. When you reconnected your webcams, did you make sure to exactly match which ports each camera was connected to?

To get a better view of how your USB ports are set up, use USBview.

Totes

Okay I was able to change 2 of them to 1280x720. The 3rd one is the Sony Vixia movie camera and there is no option in the settings to go to any other size. However, if THAT is the issue, I'll just get a different camera. That would be the least used of the 3 anyway and I could even do without it completely. I was most concerned because everything was fine 24 hours ago. I just started, adjusted, closed, restarted, closed, restarted and closed, and things seem normal. I am a total newbie when it comes to this stuff. My previous experience was all in Skype where pretty much anything works.

Totes

When running multiple webcams (specifically usb2.0 webcams), each one should ideally be connected to its own usb host controller. When you reconnected your webcams, did you make sure to exactly match which ports each camera was connected to?

To get a better view of how your USB ports are set up, use USBview.

I didn't. Currently 2 of them are plugged into a hub. The 3rd runs through an Elgato capture device. That one is plugged into a 3.0 port, as instructed by Elgato. I have 2 new 7 port hubs coming that will ease the clutter. My PC only has 2 USB 3.0 ports that I need to dedicate to the Elgato capture adapter and the Stream Deck. When those hubs arrive and I reconfigure I will make sure to put only one cam into those 2 hubs so they are coming off different USB 2.0 ports. I have a LOT of stuff connected to this PC. A Garman, a Focusrite interface, scanner, keyboard, mouse, external hard drive for music storage, those 2 cams, a MIDI controller keyboard (I write songs) and a power pack for my cell phone.

Chances are also really good that I am just going to buy a new computer with at least an i5 processor and all USB 3.0 ports.

Man, you guys are great!! Thank you so much for your help.

Last edited:

carlmmii

I would do a quick check with USBview to see if those two ports are actually controlled with separate controllers, or if they're just coming from the same controller -- if the latter, then no amount of switching around will work around the bandwidth limitation, which means resolution management would be your only true option for that computer.

The elgato thankfully will not have any bandwidth conflict, as USB3.0 and USB2.0 devices don't share any bandwidth between them (physically separate connections to the host controller, different bandwidth allocations).

Sukiyucky

The 3rd runs through an Elgato capture device. That one is plugged into a 3.0 port, as instructed by Elgato.

Are you using a Camlink 4K to attach the Sony Vixia to? It should be attached to one of your USB 3.0 ports physically on the computer front or back panel. Not on a hub. For that requires power. If so, are you aware that Elgato Camlink 4K does not support the Sony Vixua if you go look at this on their support list. Also, you should give good names to your sources like Camlnk 4K for the camera. Looking at your log, there is no way in heck we could have known any of this.

I can only guess whats going on in your system as you did't report back to whether you now have webcam and camera output working. If they aren't working, try also changing the format type. Perhaps MJPEG is the not right format. But then again, the Vixia isn't supported by Camlink.

If it was working before and now its not, something changed and the change was very delicate in nature. I would advise in the future that you (and others who are reading this) keep a spreadsheet of how you setup your OBS settings and hardware configuration so you can refer to it.

Totes

Sukiyucky (GREAT handle!) that device was not an Elgato. I was in error saying that. It is made by KuWFi. I got it because Elgato was out of them and I wanted one right now. Taking your advice, I just changed the camera names from "Video Capture Device". (See how much of a newbie I am to this stuff?) I think the issues were that when I took my room apart today to polyurethane my desktops I did not make a connection map of what went where and when I put it back together I just plugged stuff wherever.

I did IT help desk work for years and I keep coming back to "It worked yesterday. What changed since yesterday?" And the answer in this case is "where stuff was/is plugged in." It seems to be okay now but it feels like petting my pet rattlesnake. I never know on which bootup it will bite me.

In another window I am ready to pull the trigger on a new computer. An i5 with 16 GB of RAM and 2 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 on both the front and the back. And as this new PC will be dedicated to the video world and (someday soon) streaming I won't have like 75 devices plugged into it. (This PC has 11 devices in the USB ports.)

Aaaaaaaand I did it! Dude I'm gettin' a(nother) Dell!

Totes

Thanks to everybody who pitched in. Getting each camera into a port and leaving it there, then restarting, seems to have fixed it. Like the computer had to redetermine where everything was plugged in. Several starts and stops later It's all good.

Totes

Hi again everybody. I just wanted to update everybody who was so willing to help me resolve the problems I was having. The new computer I bought to dedicate to streaming is MUCH faster and everything is running great. I also decided to take the Canon Vixia out of the game and I bought another Logitech. Which leads me to this. I bought a C270. HOwever, I already have a C270 in the mix. Is the computer going to be able to understand which is which based on the USB port it is plugged into?

carlmmii

As long as it is using UVC drivers, OBS should be able to keep the cameras straight as long as they don't move USB ports. I'm just not sure if the C270 uses Logitech's older drivers or not... in which case, there may be conflicts.

Totes

Thanks Carl. My only thought about this so far is that is that when I first plugged C270 #1 into a computer running the same OS as the new one where it will go it seemed to find the drivers from the Windows driver pool and it came right up. I'll know more tomorrow when it gets here. Also when I plugged C270 #1 into the new computer I didn't have to do anything and OBS found it.

Man I love forums like this that have such good, helpful users!!