Stuttering when singers sing using obs for recording

GMoore61

I have MacBook Air with Big Sur, and recording church services to put on Facebook. I run external camera and use an usb/xlr cable to dynamic mic. Problem comes in when singers sing. What can I do? My end game is to use presonus audiobox usb 96 to connect to mixer but still have issue.

PilotLight

I f you unpack that a bit, someone might be able to help...what is actually stuttering? audio only? video? Both? Did it work prevously? Does your USB/XLR cable require some power? Try a USB 3 socket, or perhaps the current USB socket is bad (does happen). Is there some noise gating/noise removal set as a filter on the audio? Can you try a different computer?

Personally I use a mini-mixer for my XLR inputs (choir mic, lectern mic, spare) and feed that into a Focusrite Scarlett (mixer in, radio receiver in) and that connects to the pc USB, which with the ASIO plugin to recognise both Focusrite input channels works a treat.

GMoore61

I f you unpack that a bit, someone might be able to help...what is actually stuttering? audio only? video? Both? Did it work prevously? Does your USB/XLR cable require some power? Try a USB 3 socket, or perhaps the current USB socket is bad (does happen). Is there some noise gating/noise removal set as a filter on the audio? Can you try a different computer?

Personally I use a mini-mixer for my XLR inputs (choir mic, lectern mic, spare) and feed that into a Focusrite Scarlett (mixer in, radio receiver in) and that connects to the pc USB, which with the ASIO plugin to recognise both Focusrite input channels works a treat.
When we have a group sing or anyone, audio isn't consistent, it is scratch and stuttering. I have been adding pieces to the puzzle and started doing Facebook live with phone, and that was getting bad no good internet service. So I started recording service and then editing on imovie, then posting then. Camera came with directional microphone, but had to get adapter to plug in to computer that was okay till adapter started messing up. So at that point tried to find someone to show me how to connect to main board. So hit YouTube to find answer so found away to do but didn't have resources. So I thought xlr/usb with dynamic microphone would get me closer. At the time it worked because we were only recording preaching. But have had guest speakers and I was asked to record singing also, and then started seeing the problem.

PilotLight

Did you fix your problem? Did you look at my suggestions? My opinion is still that it is your USB socket or even USB header. When doing Discord meetings a friend of mine's audio would go quite stuttery and that turned out to be due to the USB socket on her laptop, which to all other intents appeared to work, but was suffering microbreaks or similar which was causing transmission packet interruption and the stuttery effect. If you were simply transmitting an ordinary file through the USB port the problem wouldn't show - it would just take slightly longer. Maybe you unplugged and replugged your microphone between different types of recording in different positions so that the type of recording is merely co-incidental. Beg/borrow another computer, install OBS and try your kit again.
Another possibility is that your computer system is struggling for internal resources - either CPU or RAM, more likely RAM. Try to see how much RAM is being consumed while the problem is occurring or even when it isn't. I stuck 32GB of RAM into the PC we use for streaming;. I certainly wouldn't use less than 8GB. I'm afraid I know nothing about MacBook Airs....