Question / Help STUTTERING WHEN CPU REACHES 80%

Hi,

when i choose one step higher x264 Preset the Stream shuttles between 50-80 % CPU Usage.

After only few minutes the Picture begins to stutter ...

OK i understand 99% CPU and stuttering but why 70-80 % and this jerky playback ??

In VLC i could go over 80% without this stuttering :-(

I tried with Video Caching and without, changed from Direct3D to OpenGL but no effect ...

Any suggests ??

The Log shows only the initialization and the handshake with the rtmp server (nginx).

Thats all ... is there a way to set the Log Level to be more detailled ??

No, please post it anyway.

As you requested, here is the Log:

https://gist.github.com/a5ac74349be20f803c4c

When i set x264 Preset from medium to Fast (one step), the CPU Peaks reach max. 70% and the Stream stays fluent without any stuttering!!

Medium Preset and Peaks to 80-85% after few minutes the Stutter begins and keeps up to 10 Minutes, then again normal and half hour later again Stuttering ...

In VLC i could use Medium Preset with 80% and it was ok :-(

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Looks like that's not a complete log. Can you do a stream, restart OBS, and then post the log? That will include more performance data.

Just because it's not at 100% doesn't mean your computer can't be struggling. CPU usage isn't that simple.

When you say you can do medium in VLC, what do you mean? Are you using VLC as an encoder for something?

Looks like that's not a complete log. Can you do a stream, restart OBS, and then post the log? That will include more performance data.

Just because it's not at 100% doesn't mean your computer can't be struggling. CPU usage isn't that simple.

When you say you can do medium in VLC, what do you mean? Are you using VLC as an encoder for something?

Yes exactly Live Streaming with x264 in VLC (Medium Preset) is working fine.

OBS MP the Medium Preset consumes more CPU compared to VLC and this is why is must fallback to one step faster x264 Preset.

At Moment the Stream is working but when i open "Show current Log" the Log is ending with the succesfull RTMP Connecting and thats all !

Howto make the Log to show further Information ??

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Finish the stream, restart OBS, and show the last log file.

OBS streaming and VLC streaming can't really be compared to each other due to all the extra rendering OBS does compared to a simple VLC stream.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
When you say playback is stuttery, what do you mean? Do you mean the stream itself is sturrery? Or the content on your side gets stuttery?

I still say that getting reduced performance at 720p50 on medium is expected behavior for OBS, as that is a pretty demanding setting.

When you say playback is stuttery, what do you mean? Do you mean the stream itself is sturrery? Or the content on your side gets stuttery?

I still say that getting reduced performance at 720p50 on medium is expected behavior for OBS, as that is a pretty demanding setting.

Yes i agree with you.

I have compared high Motion Scenes and OBS MP looks better than VLC in the same x264 Preset !