Question / Help Stutter on Twitch, Smooth locally.

ashendie

Hey all

I'm pulling my hair out here as I cannot find a solution to this Judder/stutter issue I appear to be having while streaming. It's been a while since I set the stream up so there's been a few updates since then but I'm sure this didn't happen when I last streamed.

It appears my stream stutters/judders etc when being viewed on twitch and when viewing back in the VODS. It all looks fine my end with a solid 30 or 60 fps being captured from a C985 (console) as the source and the same direct from game capture on the PC. The CPU usage is nowhere near capping out (30% ish) so I know it's not that as I've tried the faster presets like veryfast, ultrafast, faster etc just to be sure and they make no difference to this issue. I've tried different Ingest servers near me which again make no difference.

I'm attaching a log but this is the general gist of the settings im using:

Preset: Medium
Bitrate :2500 CBR ( same buffer ) and yes I've tried lowering the bitrate.
Profile :Main
Audio: 96
Resolution 1920x1080
Downscale 1280x720

Here is a minute ish example I ran before on a test channel to post here. It is not the best example but it shows it a bit better after 25 secs onwards.

http://www.twitch.tv/azezel69/v/36957208

The stutter is not always constant but it does not appear to be a consistent 30fps and almost looks like it is dropping a few frames here and there but OBS doesn't detect any.

I've tried legacy OBS and multiplatform and even gone as far as to dual booting Windows 8.1 to see if Windows 10 was causing it and nope... no difference.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm totally out of ideas :(

Attachments

• 2016-01-22 16-48-50.txt
    18.5 KB · Views: 33

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
I skipped to 0:25 of that video and didn't see any issue. Is there stutter if you record locally?

ashendie

Hey

There's no stutter if I record locally. I'm starting to wonder if it's the twitch flash player causing it. Yet it does the same in Firefox, chrome etc on both Win 8.1 and 10 which seems hard to accept.

I have to bump the bitrate down to less than 1500 to view the stream live as I'm streaming to avoid dropped frames....but it still stutters then so yeah... I'm a bit confused.

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
If it doesn't stutter with local recording, it does sound like a Twitch player issue on your computer. Like I said, it looks fine from my end. Others can check if they want.

sam686

Used a command "livestreamer" to download or play Twitch Video on Demand (VoD) past broadcast, or livestreams. Very smooth when played on VLC and also very smooth with k-lite codec pack's media player classic. My web browers (firefox and chrome) also stutters excessively on windows 7.

Also tried using PS4 web browser to access that same video, it is mostly smooth with small amount of stutter. Still smoother then my computer's web browsers playing videos.

ashendie

Thanks for looking all

Maybe it is the player then. Just seems so strange that even on different operating systems and Firefox, chrome and edge it judders for me same as when streaming.

Hell it even does it through the Xbox one application. So yeah I'm at a loss

Last edited:

Joe33345

The Twitch Player is being converted over from Flash to HTML5 over the next few months, as stated at TwitchCon, so it'll probably have weird behavior while watching it or casting at the same time. It'll probably be adjusted and fixed soon :D