Streaming with Surface Pro7

Besiuk

Hey everyone!
Last year I bought a Surface Pro 7 (I5-1035G4 @ 1.1GHz, 8GB RAM) which I've been using for work and playing some super old games like Dungeon Siege, Draus Ex, etc.

Since it's absolutely not a gaming machine, and I'm mostly playing on my Xbox, I didn't think about streaming at all, but then I stumbled over these videos, where people are using the Xbox companion App to stream their Xboxes to Windows and then capturing/mixing all of it with OBS.

I did the same with my Surface, and I was able to stream with a Bitrate of ~6000, 1080p, 30 FPS. It was stable most of the time and there were only frame drops when the stream was running for over 2h and (I suppose) the Surface got too hot.

But then after a month of streaming, suddenly my OBS started dropping frames like they're hot. In my processes I can clearly see that OBS is using something between 30-55% of my GPU and same goes for the Xbox Companion App. When both are peaking I end up at 99% GPU and then it all starts to go to hell. The problem is, that it peaks every 10-15 seconds and this makes my steam unwatchable.

I'm using a two screen setup (Surface itself and a second screen). On the surface I have my whole OBS setup and on the other one the Companion App streaming from Xbox. OBS just captures the whole display and adds some UI elements like my cam and viewer counter, chat, etc.

Since it happened without any changes in my OBS setup, I guess it's something with windows? Maybe some Update messed something up? What do you think guys? I linked Log File, so maybe someone could look it through and even find what ever is causing it to die? I would really appreciate the help!

Also, I just realised: my surface has no HDMI or any other kind of video output, so I'm using a USB-C-Dock which has a HDMI port connected to my second screen. The thing is, I had some cheap Chinese dock before and this one stopped working, so I got myself a new one from Anker. About at that time my problems started. Could the new dock be causing my issues?

Thanks in advance for your help guys! You rock!

Attachments

• 2020-06-24 00-16-15.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 159