Question / Help Streaming via action cam HDMI

Nesbin

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how to get better result of streaming through my action cam. Yesterday I streamed for the first time, had set up everything, but it only allowed me to use resolution 640x480, although it supports 4k (I'd be good with 1080p also). Today I'm trying to set it up via micro HDMI, but it won't even find my cam, is it because this HDMI IN/OUT thing? (I found this out via googling on this forum). If so how do I make it to work, on a budget. I know about this blackmagic Ultra studio mini recorder, is that an essential? Or is there some other way, a cheaper one? Thanks :)

Narcogen

Not familiar with this device at all, but I'm betting it doesn't support more than 480p while connected via USB like a webcam.

As for HDMI... you've got an HDMI output on the camera, yes? What are you plugging it into on the computer?

Nesbin

Well I think USB cable really doesn't support higher res than 480p. My camera has micro HDMI slot, that's why I went to buy this cable. As it is a MAC I have a connector from HDMI to displayport and it's a mid 2012 MBP

Narcogen

The displayport plug on a MacBook Pro is for video output, not video input.

If you want to get HDMI video into an MBP you need a capture device.

Narcogen

BlackMagic Intensity, available in USB3 and Thunderbolt varities. Magewell makes Mac-compatible devices, as does AJA (UTAP HDMI).

Avoid Elgato in general as they advertise being compatible with Mac and with OBS while neglecting to mention that many of their devices will actually NOT work on OBS while running on MacOS because they don't provide MacOS or standard device drivers, only custom software.