Streaming - full process

Hello everyone,
let me give you some introduction at first. I have started working on a project which involves live streaming. I have to develop a web platform from the absolute zero, in which users can watch / do a live stream, and there will be pretty well integrated communication system.

Since I'm pretty new to streaming I have found OBS as a service which can capture my screen, or a separate windows, also it can input text and so on, which looks great. I still can't manage to understand how does it communicates with browser. as What is the full map of transitioning the data from OBS to web browser (hopefully using HTML5) ?

As I understand I should have several stages into developing such a thing:
audio/video feed > transcoding > streaming > player
or more specific:
Device > ffmpeg (H264/AAC) > Server > Hybrid player (Flash + HTML5)

As much as I can understand Device // audio/video feed is OBS, so how does it send the data in the next stage of this "map" ? How does it communicate with the further components ? Is there something which I miss ? What kind of technologies will I need ?

I will be very thankful if someone explain it clearly. I know it is a bit annoying but I'm new to this kind of services.

Thanks,
Deyvid.

If someone is keen into explaining me the whole thing you can feel free to PM on here on the forum or on email (deivid.dimitroff@abv.bg). //If not allowed to have links in post, delete the link please. Sorry if it is in the wrong section.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
OBS Classic and Studio both send their video and audio feed through rtmp to a server. Twitch, Youtube or whatever server/service you use then redistribute this stream to the viewers.
Depending on the service they might convert the rtmp input to hls or dash or a different protocol before they send it to the viewer. Their homepage then includes a player that supports this output format and protocol and allows the viewer to watch the stream.
Webcam-Sites that allow you to stream your webcam directly through the browser work differently and there are probably several ways to do it in general but rtmp is what OBS uses to send the stream to the services.

Thank you, Jach0r. :)
P.S. does OBS have any js plugin or something, so they are more flexible on node.js server or I should write all by myself ?

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
OBS has nothing to do with the actual delivery of the stream from the server to end users. All it cares about is rendering/encoding the video stream and sending it to the server -- what the server does with it afterward (including playback inside embedded web players) is none of OBS's concern.