Question / Help Streaming EasyCap to YouTube over 4G or LTE

Chris Blackburn

Hi guys.

I'm involved in the hobby of FPV, First Person View. It's where we control RC models (predominantly air based models) whilst watching a live analogue video feed direct from the model on a screen or a set of goggles on the ground.

In it's basic form, there is a small camera on the aircraft, connected to an analogue video transmitter. This signal is picked up by an analogue video receiver at the base location on the ground. The video is then output via standard phono cables to either a portable LCD screen or a set of goggles.

Today I attempted to live stream my FPV footage using OBS Studio.

The phono output plugged into an EasyCap video to USB capture device, which in turn was plugged into a budget laptop. The laptop was connected via WiFi to a hotspot configured on my Samsung Galaxy S6.

The Samsung Galaxy S6 was connected to the 4G mobile network here in the UK and speedtest.net indicated that I had around 30mbps download and 25mbps upload connection, with a ping of around 22ms.

The only stream settings I changed from default were the bitrate (changed to 1000 as during testing previously, youtube stream health box told me to drop it to 1000) and the keyframe interval to 2, again, based on youtube's help pages.

All other OBS settings were default.

The experience was mixed. Upon first clicking start streaming, the stream health was very good for around 40 seconds after which the audio remained but both my video sources (EasyCap and Webcam) kept freezing.

Each time I would stop the stream and then restart it, the stream would be good for a short while (normally under 1 minute) and then return back to freezing up whilst still transmitting the audio.

Another thing I tried was to remove my webcam source in an attempt to preserve system resources or bandwidth on the laptop.

The last 2 minutes or so of the video, available for viewing below, were just after I'd stopped and started the stream again and as you can see it wasn't freezing up as much, if at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn-x3tnkTEs

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could suggest some settings either in Windows or OBS in order to get better success with what I'm trying to do.

Many thanks.

Technical details:

OBS 17.0.0
Windows 10 Home - 64-bit
Processor: AMD A8-7410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics
8.0GB RAM

Samsung Galaxy S6 - Network Provider EE, 4G/LTE connection of 30mbps/D, 25mbps/U

Harold

Not a lot of settings are going to be able to make it work well on that laptop. AMD A8 APUs aren't the best, and you're hitting processor limits even with the superfast preset.

sam686

1092x614 ? Youtube only downscales this to 854x480. Check out "Stats for nerds" when right clicking on YouTube video.

Try downscaling your OBS settings down to 854x480 as it may help reduce encoding processing requirements.

Chris Blackburn

It works well for a minute perhaps... then goes crap... that's on the current settings.

for next time I'll scale the resolution down closer to the YT output, and set OBS to superfast, or even ultrafast