Question / Help Streaming DAW Music Production with ASIO Drivers

M1schk

Hi!

I am planning to stream my process with music production in a DAW (in my case Reason 11) with OBS.
But there is one very big problem. As long as I use ASIO sound drivers, I can't get the sound from my DAW into OBS.
I use the Steinberg UR22 interface and the Steinberg ASIO driver and Windows 10

For those who don't know, why I need to use ASIO drivers:
A big issue with music production can be latency, as above 10ms it is starting to get very noticable and playing Drums or Piano with a delay is very hard.
For this reason, it is absolutely mandatory to use an interface and its own ASIO audio drivers.

I am trying for 4 months now and really really want to get it started finally... so I will be as detailled as possible :)

This is what I have tried:

#1 Routing Reason to Reaper as Rack Plugin and use the Voxengo plugin on the master output, adding the Voxengo plugin as source in OBS
--> I had sound, but it increased the latency A LOT!! Also the quality was extremely bad for some reason.. so it is not workable

#2 OBS ASIO Plugin
--> I had no sound, no matter which settings I tried. I think it is not designed to get fed by a DAW. When I activate the Steinberg Driver in OBS, the driver crashes in Reason, and when I do it the other way around OBS will crash.
Actually, when I do it like, activate driver first in Reason, then activate in OBS, let the driver crash in Reason (Reason will not crash so easily ;-) ) and load it again.. then nothing crashes anymore.. but still no sound :P

#3 FL ASIO Driver
there is this FruityLoops ASIO driver, which will work on many interfaces.. but it is not the driver especially designed for the interface.
It works, different.. FL ASIO Driver will automatically create a loopback to the onboard Soundcard, which I can easily capture with OBS.
BUT, the driver has at least ~60ms latency (with reaaally small buffers) This makes it impossible to use a MIDI controller effectively, or play guitar, or drums.
--> So far regarding quality and latency the best option.

#4 LineOut from the Interface into the Line In of my Onboard soundcard, with 6.3mm -> 3,5mm
--> Sounds like a crappy solution, and the sound of the solution is crappy. and with crappy I mean really **** up.
I am sure, there is no audioloop, which could make it crappy (I tested it by making an audio loop to hear what it would sound like :D )
Also I tested the output with a headphone amp and headphone and it was fine.
Onboard soundcards aren't the best, but it couldnt be thaat crappy only because of the Board quality. (I mean, it even has a digital out lol)
So I don't know. I didn't even expected it to work at all, but it is still no solution..

#5 A newer interface
I bought the SSL 2+ (Solid State Logic), to test whether this could work better with option #2, #3 or maybe with an own option..
The Steinberg UR22 is pretty old, there are already 2 more versions to it.
The SSL 2+ is new, costs much more and in some forums I've read it supports "multiclient" use.
But that interface doesn't even work with Windows and Reason simultaneously :D :D (Or let's say it didn't work for me, but with the Steinberg, that was never a question)
For the above options also no difference.

Does anyone of you have any other options in mind, that I should try or maybe a suggestion for an interface (if possible below 300 $/€)?
I really would appreciate any help !!

M1schk

#6 double Interface
e Onboard Soundcard, I use the Steinberg.
The SSL would only be for Reason sounds then, route that to the Steinberg with 2x 6.3mm balanced, and then I have the Reason sound as Mic/Aux in OBS.
So, that is the best working option for me so far, but also there are problems.
Firstly, I block all inputs from my Steinberg, so if I want to use an XLR microphone, I must do it through the SSL and then always through Reason, or I must use an USB microphone..
With using 2 interfaces, there are also driver issues from time to time. for example, I had 1 system restart with wrong drivers loaded for no reason.

Also tried Reastream plugin and VirtualCable Asio Driver, and both did not work for me.. or I do something wrong..

I brain is melting^.. It can't be so hard to get DAW sound into OBS with just one interface, not blocking any inputs AND with the Interface ASIO Driver.