Question / Help Stream via Sling Studio

Rick_DC

Thanks in advance for looking at this post
Mac-Catalina 10.15.3
ProPresenter 6
OBS 24.0.6
Sling Studio Console 1.8.215

We are successfully streaming our Sunday Services to Facebook and are now attempting to add "Slides" from ProPresenter 6 to the Feed.
No Audio is required, that comes frrom our sound board directly to the Sling Studio.
OBS is installed Scene is set and the Source is a Siphon from ProPresenter
We are not sure what "Service" to choose to get the OBS to send the "Slides" to the Sling Studio. If that is even possible, considering that we aren't using the OBS to do the Facebook Live Stream.
Any assistance or input will be helpful.
1584818507551.png

Thank you
Rick

Narcogen

The list of services is online platforms to send an h.264 stream to via RTMP over the network. It's not for sending to devices like SlingStudio. This is not a use case OBS is intended for.

If Sling can be used as an RTMP ingest, then you can add it as a Custom RTMP destination in OBS and configure it for the local address of your SlingStudio hub, but as far as I know, SlingStudio Hub is intended to send RTMP as output, not input-- just as OBS is.

If you have content like slides on your Mac that you need to get into SlingStudio, I'd imagine an HDMI cable is the way-- or am I misunderstanding your setup?

Rick_DC

The list of services is online platforms to send an h.264 stream to via RTMP over the network. It's not for sending to devices like SlingStudio. This is not a use case OBS is intended for.

If Sling can be used as an RTMP ingest, then you can add it as a Custom RTMP destination in OBS and configure it for the local address of your SlingStudio hub, but as far as I know, SlingStudio Hub is intended to send RTMP as output, not input-- just as OBS is.

If you have content like slides on your Mac that you need to get into SlingStudio, I'd imagine an HDMI cable is the way-- or am I misunderstanding your setup?
Thanks for your quick reply,
To clarify, we are also using multiple cameras that attach to the Sling Studio via Camera Links (also part of the Sling Studio)
ProPresenter does our Slides which are currently being displayed on a Audience Display on our stage via a HDMI to a projector
We are using a BlackMagic Bi-Directional SDI/HDMI Micro Converter which includes a Feed Thru that is feeding the Sling Studio
Sling Studio, right now is only the Video from the cameras to Facebook and we are attempting to get the Slides to display as a separate "Layer" on the video stream that is going to Facebook. Like an old Picture in Picture.
When I pull up ALL sources in the Sling Studio the only choices are my Camera Links, nothing shows for HDMI
I hope this clarifies things a bit, I got all this dropped in my lap when our Worship Team leader decided to go a different direction in his life and no one else was trained on this before he left. I'm a retired Network Admin and the powers that be asked if I would help. So I'm learning Mac and other related software, and all this video STUFF as I go. And it's challenging to say the least.

I'm not familiar with the RTMP that you mentioned but I have seen references to it.
I got the information below from the Sling Website after seeing your response.

SlingStudio Console supports both RTMP and RTMPS streaming protocols. If you're streaming to a service that requires RTMPS, SlingStudio Console "negotiates" this with the streaming service when you set up your stream. Be sure that you have updated to the latest version of SlingStudio Console to take advantage of this.
Important note: Facebook requires RTMPS streaming as of May 1, 2019. Again, be sure that you're using the latest version of the SlingStudio Console software to ensure that your stream uses the correct protocol.

We are no longer allowed to have service here at the church, Covid19 we thank you! Hence the desire to have the slides included with the Live Stream.

I'll post this on the Sling Studio Site as well

Thank you

Rick_DC

OK figured it out, we have to use the Stage Display output and Split that to feed the SlingStudio
That way we can get just the Text and display that in the lower 1/3 of the Screen using Chroma Key
That will be close enough for now, till I learn a little more about this!
Thanks

Narcogen

Glad you found a solution.

Just to clarify, my point was that OBS is intended for ingesting various sources and sending out an h.264 stream over IP-- in other words, RTMP/RTMPS.

In your pipeline, that is the job the SlingStudio is doing.

OBS is a video switcher and compositor, but the only real intended output for it is the stream (or a recording, which is basically just streaming to a file). While it can do audio input monitoring, and can send video monitoring to external devices, it does not really have a provision for sending its assembled output as a synchronized audio/video stream OTHER than RTMP or a file.

It CAN send that output over a network via NDI, but I don't know if NDI input is something SlingStudio supports. If it does, look at the OBS-NDI plugin.

It often happens that someone wants to use the composition/switching capabilities of OBS but isn't sending to a service like YouTube or Twitch, or recording to a file-- they want a video signal to distribute some other way, and this isn't a use case OBS has really been built for. NDI program output is the closest thing there is to this.

Kwipster

OK figured it out, we have to use the Stage Display output and Split that to feed the SlingStudio
That way we can get just the Text and display that in the lower 1/3 of the Screen using Chroma Key
Thanks
We are experiencing the same issues. We are using ProPresenter 7, OBS & SligStudio. I am able to create a separate screen to show lower thirds to OBS but can't figure how to get it from there to the SlingStudio display/output.

Your post said "We are using a BlackMagic Bi-Directional SDI/HDMI Micro Converter which includes a Feed Thru that is feeding the Sling Studio
Sling Studio". Is the converter a requirement to get my OSB lower thirds feed to SlingStudio? We are currently feeding Sling through our Main Display.

Thanks for your help! I'm in a similar place as you - Covid-19 has caused us to have to jump in with both feet. We are broadcasting to both FB & YouTube with recorded messages and need to move to live streaming.

coachcorey13

Thanks

Hi Rick, our church would like to do the same thing. We also you SlingStudio. So, what steps do we need to take?