stream sound cuts in and out

Warboar

I run audio/video for my church. Everything sounds good in the church itself. When the live stream goes out the sound cuts in and out badly. I have attached the log from last weeks service. A single sound source seems to do okay but when the choir or band is going, the sound quality is terrible.

Attachments

• 2021-06-27 08-50-02.txt
    15.1 KB · Views: 71

konsolenritter

Yepp. Sounds terrible. Thanks for the example.

I think its related to
"08:50:03.555: - filter: 'Noise Suppression' (noise_suppress_filter_v2)
08:50:03.555: - filter: 'Noise Gate' (noise_gate_filter)"

Noise suppression works only good for speech (transients and short vocals with running breaks and pauses in between). Why? It measures constantly changing timbre, frequencies and loudness (for speech ever changing) and suppresses common parts of the signal (like hum and noise). Its definitely not going well for music or choir with sustaining parts.

And the gating threshold raises with the overall (or average) level, which is for ongoing music much higher than for speech.

So you have to(!), if ever possible, drop these two filters!

If you experience hum/static from a ground loop (it seems to come thru when the reverend speaks), then bring instead a pair of di-boxes into the path between your foh/mixer and your streaming computer. Passively ones like palmer di-01 will suffice. Simple transformers with the possibility to break-up a ground-loop.

And clean up your gain structure. Mixer should send appropriate level over ground noise so that gain at your capturing device may kept low (of course without any clipping!)

Hope these hints help a little bit.

Last edited:

konsolenritter

There are crackling noises too, when the reverend speaks. Please check your complete signal chain, starting with stability of the microphones. :)

Or - as the choir sings - "all other ground is sinking sand..."
Please forgive that joke. It was too tempting... ;)

konsolenritter

Ahem. Me again. It seems to overload the capturing device already. definitely breaking/clipping sometimes. Is that a professional capturing device, capable of xlr an line levels?

konsolenritter

Code:
08:50:03.554: WASAPI: Device 'Microphone (USB3.0 HD Audio Capture)' [48000 Hz] initialized
[one line left out]
08:50:03.555: [Loaded global audio device]: 'Mic/Aux'

Is this your SI impact mixer?

konsolenritter

Okay, no worries.
Think about: The device linking your audio world to the digital world is possibly the most important thing in this chain! :)

Warboar

There is a box that the video camera goes into. It is labeled USB3.0 HD Audio Capture. The camera goes into it and it goes into the PC.
Removing the filters removed the cutting in and out.

konsolenritter

You should learn the most important links and connectors. For instance, if that "camera cabling" is HDMI (what i think at the moment). So if no other connection goes into the PC, then the audio comes via HDMI, too. Then you found it!

And if removing the filters helped, you are at the right place. =D

Warboar

It is a micro USB connection at the camera. There is a USB to HDMI adapter, then HDMI going into the HD Capture box. USB from the capture box to the PC.

konsolenritter

The micro-"usb" connection on camera side may be some vendor-specific (often caused by available space for connectos). Then the vendor provides a adapter-cable.

So i gues its HDMI coming out of the camera. So the capture box is the specific device the PC "sees".
If the removing of the filters there (at the audio track of the hd capture box) helped, the sound comes into obs via this camera?!