Resource icon

Stream/Recording Start/Stop Beep (SRBeep) (Unsupported) 2.1.1

Vols and Jezuz

I was on about:

I'm an idiot.

I thought it was some cool thing where people call their code mud.

Btw I just now realized that I've only compiled and tested my changes with 32-bit OBS Studio, so you may want to check that the 64-bit is still fine. I'll try to compile the 64-bit later myself.

Vols and Jezuz

64-bit version built and confirmed working. Sizes of both DLLs on my system are very similar to the provided v1.0.2 file sizes (+/- a few hundred bytes).

@Vols and Jezuz
I get a crash on close for 64bit with your code :( . It was falling over a mutex unlock and is fixed by removing all references to threadEndMutex. In theory (and as far as I know, which isn't very far) atomic<bool> should be thread safe so shouldn't need a mutex around it.

Before I push out the update, would it be possible for you to remove the threadEndMutex and see if it still works okay for you? If it works fine, I'll update the git repo and post an update.

It's a shame the 0.16.x update isn't out for Linux or I could use the new API for checking streams at the same time. Ah well.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
The Linux and Mac builds are currently being worked on. Our old build server was unfortunately not too reliable but Jim is currently working with DDRBoxman to get TravisCI running for both. (And possibly Appveyor later for windows)

Vols and Jezuz

@Vols and Jezuz
I get a crash on close for 64bit with your code :( . It was falling over a mutex unlock and is fixed by removing all references to threadEndMutex. In theory (and as far as I know, which isn't very far) atomic<bool> should be thread safe so shouldn't need a mutex around it.

Before I push out the update, would it be possible for you to remove the threadEndMutex and see if it still works okay for you? If it works fine, I'll update the git repo and post an update.

That's really strange. As far as I know as well, the mutex does seem a little unnecessary there. I went with it out of 'safety' because they had used it here, but I'm realizing now that they just used a plain bool, so maybe that's why it was needed in that instance. I'm removing threadEndMutex completely now and doing some tests. If it's fine, I'll push a commit and submit another pull request.

It's just strange how the failures are different on our systems. The original code gave crash on exit for me but not the new code. And opposite for you, but only on 64-bit. Windows pls

Edit:
done and done. Works fine for me with no crashes, hopefully same for you.

Last edited:

Vols and Jezuz

Keep holding off on updating the plugin, because I'm still getting some occasional crashes from SRBeep. My latest theory on why it only sometimes crashes is that OBS does not give SRBeep enough time to always successfully SRBeepThread.join() in the BeepStruct::Stop() function. For instance, it had just started the 100ms psleep() in BeepStruct::main_loop() right as OBS exited. So if SRBeepThread is getting destructed before it finishes the 100ms psleep() and joins st_stt_Thread, st_sto_Thread, rc_stt_Thread, and rc_sto_Thread, then all those threads will also be destructed while they are joinable.

I have an idea for a fix that I'm testing out, so if this is indeed what is giving the occasional crashes on SRBeep's account, then I'll have another pull request ready in a few days. Just want to give time for testing to make sure I'm not getting any more crashes before making another pull request.

adocilesloth updated Stream/Recording Start/Stop Beep (SRBeep) with a new update entry:

Move to new API

I've moved this plugin onto the new frontend API. For the users, this (hopefully) means that the plugin should be slightly more stable. Plus it is no longer restricted in what you can use for recording/streaming (i.e. it will go beyond simple and advanced to any custom stream/record you can come up with).

For some reason, the new API header files aren't downloaded with the Linux PPA, so I've included them for Linux people to build against.

Also, I'd like to make a shout out to @Vols and...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Shoutout to @Vols and Jezuz for his hard work making this plugin more stable. Unfortunately, the new API means I've not used the vast majority of his hard work. You still have my appreciation for your work though.

Vols and Jezuz

Cool, good stuff man. Glad you figured out the frontend API. I want to look at it and see how it works now.

The sad part is that I think I just now fully grasp why my mud was sometimes still crashing. Mutexes are a tricky thing to deal with in dynamically loaded DLLs....

So I've got good news and bad news after just trying out your new version. The good news is the memory leaks and the crashes I had before I started working on the code are gone when I use OBS in a 'normal' way. The bad news is I was able to make the new version freak out if I started and stopped a recording extremely quickly (basically as quick as I could, with hotkeys). The recording start and stop sounds were then reversed until I closed OBS Studio, or tried to close it, rather. The GUI closed when I hit Exit, but the program never closed and I had to kill it from Windows Task Manager. The last line in the log is "Freeing OBS context data", after which would normally be a bunch more lines as OBS Studio shut down. This behavior is repeatable. I haven't looked at the code yet so I have no clue what would be causing it, but I'm not even sure if you will even consider it a problem worth addressing, since it only really occurs when you use the program in a somewhat 'unrealistic' manner. Just thought I'd let you know, hope this isn't a downer on your otherwise great work!

I'm probably not going to try to fix this. If people want to ram start/stop streaming like crazy then the plugin will echo their mental state :P

Vols and Jezuz

Hehe yeah I mostly agree. The one situation I could see it accidentally happening in is if someone started a recording and then immediately realized they wanted to take care of something else real quickly. They would then immediately stop the recording. That could be within the time-frame that causes it glitches out, but likely not.

I think it's probably good as-is, too.

Wambat

Howdy. I am using a crap windows 10 laptop to record game play, and OBS is, understandably, quite unstable as a result. I would really like some way to know when obs has stopped recording other than reviewing the footage after the fact to find out it stopped 30% of the way through a session. The red dot is not an option; even if it would work; because of no 64bit support. Would this plugin work for what I am looking for? Can it tell the difference between a stop command, and obs just crapping out?

Howdy. I am using a crap windows 10 laptop to record game play, and OBS is, understandably, quite unstable as a result. I would really like some way to know when obs has stopped recording other than reviewing the footage after the fact to find out it stopped 30% of the way through a session. The red dot is not an option; even if it would work; because of no 64bit support. Would this plugin work for what I am looking for? Can it tell the difference between a stop command, and obs just crapping out?

I don't know. In theory it should notify when the stream/recording stops (except if OBS crashes) however it does it, but I've only ever tested it by stopping it normally. The best is I can advise is to try it and see if it works for you. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

WhuSadDat

the download link just deleted or private

Attachments

• Skärmbild (37).png
    Skärmbild (37).png
    119.3 KB · Views: 52

layarion

This is definitely what the doctor ordered. I guess we can update the sounds ourselves? but i suggest:

1) updating the default sound to be louder, so i can hear it over game gunshots and stuff. I think i'll try and use a sine wave.
2) make the stop sound different. Like a double deep or something.

I especially like the included README. So few people like handing out easy to find and understand instructions these days.

Update: So I used sine waves, but when I play them in OBS they come out much lower in tone than they did in Audacity. Also slower, but no big deal.

Last edited:

DrunkMonk74

Hey @adocilesloth great plugin, works really well for me and give me some indication of whether I've started the recording or not. I'm not a coder or anything, so apologies if I'm about to ask a dumb question, but would it be really tough to add a visual queue to the recording, ie, red dot when you're recording, and either no dot or a green one when you're not recording?

Thanks again for putting all the effort in so far and keeping the plugin updated.

Hey @adocilesloth great plugin, works really well for me and give me some indication of whether I've started the recording or not. I'm not a coder or anything, so apologies if I'm about to ask a dumb question, but would it be really tough to add a visual queue to the recording, ie, red dot when you're recording, and either no dot or a green one when you're not recording?

Thanks again for putting all the effort in so far and keeping the plugin updated.

I'm not going to do that. I'll leave adding on screen overlays that aren't captured by OBS to people who have at least a remote idea of what they are doing. There is the RedDot plugin that does this but it's only for 32bit versions of OBS. I've never used it though.

domakasa

Hi your plugin and super
But I would like to know if you could add an option
I would like an ON AIR lamp that turns on and off if I stream or not
With a typical usb relay
https://www.amazon.fr/TOOGOO-Relais...TF8&qid=1501069511&sr=8-1&keywords=relais+usb
Thank you

Salut ton plugin et super
Mais je voudrais savoir si tu pouvais rajoute une option
Je voudrais mais une lampe ON AIR qui s'allume et qui s’éteint si je stream ou pas
Avec un relais usb type
https://www.amazon.fr/TOOGOO-Relais...TF8&qid=1501069511&sr=8-1&keywords=relais+usb
Merci