Question / Help Stream Quality Question

rockstopper

So after going through what seems to be EVERY single option in SE OBS, I feel that I'm still missing something or else my internet is just not up to the task or something else is causing me problems.

System: Ryzen 7 2700x / GTX 1080ti / 750Watt gold Antec Truepower PSU / 500GB 3D NAND WD SSD / Strix-F Gaming x370 MOBO / 16gb 3200mhz dual channel RAM / Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam (Webcam currently in 800 x 600 res)

Net: 50up / 6down Frontier DSL (I do not suffer from dropped frames at any point in time. My bitrate does tend to go above 3500 at times though. Some where around 3700 or so.)

To start off here are my settings:
settings.png

Here is an example of one of my 3D intensive streams: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/561102308

It's literally JUST ACCEPTABLE in my opinion, but my reasoning is based on other streams that say they're only using 4500k or less but look FAR clearer and don't suffer from any extremely muddy dark colors or smearing like my stream does. I've even tried a 5k bitrate and there is literally no difference between it and the 3500 so that leads me to believe that something must be wrong some where.

My max upload is 6k and other people surf the net here so 3500 is essentially the max I can do, but I don't think that is the limiting factor here with my quality. I want to note that I've also tried NVENC with the best settings and it actually looked worse than x264 IMO. If anyone has any suggestions or if it's just because I'm using DSL vs say Fiber and it's completely a LINE QUALITY issue then let me know please. I've been racking my brain for 5+ hours at a time trying different settings in hopes that it will look better, but the example above is the best I can come up with so far. It's just frustrating cause I have a few viewers that come in and I know they can't see what I'm aiming / shooting at half the time if it's in the distance which kind of defeats the purpose of my runs. And my screen movement causing my cam to blur is also very annoying. If anyone has a fix for that too, would be nice.

Thanks for any suggestions and sorry about the lengthy post.

Last edited:

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
It's pretty much entirely your bitrate, no FPS game is going to look great at only 3500k, especially with effects like full screen rain and night vision. Also if you're not recording, don't use the rescale output option and instead use a downscale.

SpectreKid

So after going through what seems to be EVERY single option in SE OBS, I feel that I'm still missing something or else my internet is just not up to the task or something else is causing me problems.

System: Ryzen 7 2700x / GTX 1080ti / 750Watt gold Antec Truepower PSU / 500GB 3D NAND WD SSD / Strix-F Gaming x370 MOBO / 16gb 3200mhz dual channel RAM / Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam (Webcam currently in 800 x 600 res)

Net: 50up / 6down Frontier DSL (I do not suffer from dropped frames at any point in time. My bitrate does tend to go above 3500 at times though. Some where around 3700 or so.)

To start off here are my settings:
settings.png

Here is an example of one of my 3D intensive streams: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/561102308

It's literally JUST ACCEPTABLE in my opinion, but my reasoning is based on other streams that say they're only using 4500k or less but look FAR clearer and don't suffer from any extremely muddy dark colors or smearing like my stream does. I've even tried a 5k bitrate and there is literally no difference between it and the 3500 so that leads me to believe that something must be wrong some where.

My max upload is 6k and other people surf the net here so 3500 is essentially the max I can do, but I don't think that is the limiting factor here with my quality. I want to note that I've also tried NVENC with the best settings and it actually looked worse than x264 IMO. If anyone has any suggestions or if it's just because I'm using DSL vs say Fiber and it's completely a LINE QUALITY issue then let me know please. I've been racking my brain for 5+ hours at a time trying different settings in hopes that it will look better, but the example above is the best I can come up with so far. It's just frustrating cause I have a few viewers that come in and I know they can't see what I'm aiming / shooting at half the time if it's in the distance which kind of defeats the purpose of my runs. And my screen movement causing my cam to blur is also very annoying. If anyone has a fix for that too, would be nice.

Thanks for any suggestions and sorry about the lengthy post.
The only thing you can do is change your bitrate. Higher bitrate = higher quality. Also a tip is to do your scaling in the Video tab.

rockstopper

Guys thanks so much for the response and that was what I thought the issue was. I unfortunately am just stuck with this low upload for now. I will say though that when I rescaled in Video it seemed to look worse than rescaling on the output. Maybe I'm just imagining it?

SpectreKid

Guys thanks so much for the response and that was what I thought the issue was. I unfortunately am just stuck with this low upload for now. I will say though that when I rescaled in Video it seemed to look worse than rescaling on the output. Maybe I'm just imagining it?
If you're really paranoid you can do a stream analysis. There shouldn't be any difference, except one is done on CPU and one is done on the graphics card, which is faster.

rockstopper

If you're really paranoid you can do a stream analysis. There shouldn't be any difference, except one is done on CPU and one is done on the graphics card, which is faster.
I checked it on my last stream and you guys were right! The scaling in Video actually looked better than output as well. Thanks for all the help Rich and Spectre!