Question / Help Stream overlay setup with webcams stops working when you have to re-setup

Yomabuddy

If I have a scene set up with some webcams, and have to take it down and put the setup up somewhere else, re-plugging in the webcams makes the webcam sources not work. Am I supposed to just set up the webcam sources again? My hypothesis was that it's possible that the source sort of confuses which inputs it's meant to look at and associates them with the usb ports they were plugged into, so nothing comes out, but I have since not had the equipment to test this, so was hoping for some clarification on the matter.

koala

It's actually the port of the webcam. If you look into your logfile, you see what OBS reports about your device. For example this:
22:08:23.952: [DShow Device: 'Video Capture Device'] settings updated: 22:08:23.952: video device: HD Pro Webcam C920 22:08:23.952: video path: \\?\usb#vid_046d&pid_082d&mi_00#6&4e05b28&0&0000#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\global 22:08:23.952: resolution: 640x480 22:08:23.952: fps: 30.00 (interval: 333333) 22:08:23.952: format: YUY2
You see the video path entry. This is the physical name of the device on your Windows machine. By this path, OBS is identifying the webcam. This is different on every machine, it is different for every USB port, and probably (this is something I don't know) different between different cameras of the same type.

So if you unplug your webcam, you have to plug the same device into the same port on the same computer to make it OBS recognize again. Otherwise the path is different and you have to reassign this setting. You don't have to remove and ad re-add the source, you only have to reassign the path in the properties of the source by resetting the "Device" entry.

utbigrod

Having the same issue. How do you "reset the device entry"? Can't find any options similar to that other than the default buttons. And deleting and re-adding doesn't work either. Only thing that works is restarting the computer. thanks!