Question / Help Stream Lags When Recording & Streaming Simultaneously

T.Mace

I can stream perfectly, but when I try to record and stream at the same time then the stream lags. So on Twitch it looks like I'm getting huge lag spikes when in reality my game is running smoothly at high fps.

What is the cause of this? How can I fix it?

DEDRICK

I'm going to make an educated guess and say you are probably using x264 for both streaming and recording which is putting a huge strain on your CPU. Use NVENC, AMD VCE or QuickSync for recording

T.Mace

My only two options in Recording for Encoder are x264 and Intel Quick Sync H.264 Encoder (Media Foundation). None of the ones you recommended are available in the dropdown menu.

I will check CPU usage next time I stream and try to record. I would assume though, that if CPU usage was high, then my game would lag too, but it doesn't, only the stream lags.

Harold

If you're streaming and recording at different resolutions/bitrates, you will need a more powerful computer.

Post your obs log.

T.Mace

My Specs: i7 4790K, GTX 980, 16 GB RAM, SSD for C drive, 3TB HDD for storage. Don't you think it should do the trick?

I am able to stream and continuously record with Shadow Play. Stream does not lag in that situation. Stream lag only occurs when I try to stream and record with OBS MP.

I will post my OBS log next time I try recording and streaming simultaneously. If I post now it will just show streaming info because I stopped recording when I noticed the stream lag.