Question / Help Stream laggy when playing on PC

Wiuziq

Hi,

On pretty much any PC game that I attempt to play and stream, the stream gets really crazy lagging, unwatchable.

When playing console games there is no lag and all is well.

My PC is not high-end but still decent. Some PC games can be streamed if I lower graphics alot.

My specs:
GeForce GTX 770
Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.40GHz
16gb RAM

Shouldn't that be enough? I can't stream Citites Skylines, I also tried Rainbow Six Siege when beta was on, even on low the stream just froze/lagged super bad.

Is it just that my PC is too crappy to stream and play more demanding games?

Wiuziq

Your pc is not good enough.

Thanks for the short but clear message lol. I thought my PC was decent enough for it.

What should I upgrade if I would like to stream properly and good with PC games? Not that I have money for that at the moment but good to know later on!

DEDRICK

guess i will have to keep to streaming console games only for now!

Your PC is good enough, above person is talking out of their ass. You are using Superfast, a 2500K can handle 720p60 Very Fast.

You have a lot going on, my best suggestion is make a new scene collection(NOT A NEW SCENE) to test.

Add a game capture source, add your webcam source, put your CPU preset to Very Fast and test record/stream. If you don't have any issues, start adding overlays, browser sources.

Also, don't watch your own stream while streaming, it eats CPU and you use double the data (uploading 2500Kbps, downloading 2500Kbps)

Last edited:

Wiuziq

Your PC is good enough, above person is talking out of their ass. You are using Superfast, a 2500K can handle 720p60 Very Fast.

You have a lot going on, my best suggestion is make a new scene collection(NOT A NEW SCENE) to test.

Add a game capture source, add your webcam source, put your CPU preset to Very Fast and test record/stream. If you don't have any issues, start adding overlays, browser sources.

Also, don't watch your own stream while streaming, it eats CPU and you use double the data (uploading 2500Kbps, downloading 2500Kbps)

Oh, thanks alot! That makes me more happy!
I will look into this and try it out! I do try to have as few programs running as possible. And I don't usually watch my own stream, I am on dashboard menu but I remove the preview of my channel so I only have Chat to look at.

Thanks once again! Will try this soon and get back on results!

Wiuziq

So I just test streamed for 10min, dropped 1k frames on that time period.(LOG: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/cef0d62860065e83ed13 ) With settings you told me to use and then only CAM + game sources. So It went better but still dropping some frames here and there! Might need to lower graphics on game more? or change some more OBS settings?

Thanks!

DEDRICK

Well drop frames are upload issues, nothing to do with CPU. Are you connected to the closest available Twitch ingest server?

Wiuziq

Well drop frames are upload issues, nothing to do with CPU. Are you connected to the closest available Twitch ingest server?

Yea I live in Malmö, Sweden so I am on Stockholm Twitch server which is the closest one for me.
i have 100mbit down and around 10-12 up. Strange.

I would say try another server. One thing I noticed, your Elgato is USB, correct? If you have your capture card on the same USB header as say your webcam, that could cause an overload on the USB bus. That may be your issue. If can put your webcam on the front header or USB 3.0 header that may clear things up. If you are attempting HD resolutions on your webcam, I can almost bet a paycheck that's your issue.

Wiuziq

I would say try another server. One thing I noticed, your Elgato is USB, correct? If you have your capture card on the same USB header as say your webcam, that could cause an overload on the USB bus. That may be your issue. If can put your webcam on the front header or USB 3.0 header that may clear things up. If you are attempting HD resolutions on your webcam, I can almost bet a paycheck that's your issue.

Yea both Elgato and Webcam are on the back, gonna try set one to the front! Thanks alot! You guys are too kind and helpful here lol!