Question / Help Stream fails to start, stays at 0kb/s

Spinningtop5

So after building my new computer and installing and configuring a new copy of arch I can't get obs to work.
It currently works on my laptop with arch installed and does not give me the errors my desktop does.

Here is the log file https://gist.github.com/d7f31168f8a767724600

I noticed these errors and I'm not sure how to deal with them, I've tried every combination of encoding settings I could think of.

Code:
12:30:16 PM: [x264 encoder: 'streaming_h264'] This build of x264 requires high depth input. Rebuild to support 8-bit input.
12:30:16 PM: [x264 encoder: 'streaming_h264'] encode failed
12:30:16 PM: Error encoding with encoder 'streaming_h264'

Spinningtop5

So I managed to solve the issue with some help from the obs IRC channel

While installing make sure you specify libx264

Code:
shana@arch-desktop ~> sudo pacman -S ffmpeg
resolving dependencies...
:: There are 2 providers available for libx264.so=144-64:
:: Repository extra
   1) libx264  2) libx264-10bit

Kẏra

I'm having the same issue but on Fedora 25 prerelease, so this solution won't work for me. Any ideas for rpm based systems?

I have two other questions as well.

First, about any possible workaround. Is there a stream/output/video setting that is causing OBS to ask for low depth input from x264, so can a setting be changed to avoid this issue?

Second, about the reason for this being an issue in the first place. From what I've read, low depth input is a bad idea for compatibility reasons. So why does OBS ask for a build of x264 that supports it? It seems like OBS should just use high depth input as the default x264 builds require

Kẏra

apparently this is a packaging bug on behalf of unitedrpms. switching to rpmfusion (and then uninstalling and re-installing obs) solved the issue! though sadly the hidpi support is gone from obs in these builds

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
apparently this is a packaging bug on behalf of unitedrpms. switching to rpmfusion (and then uninstalling and re-installing obs) solved the issue! though sadly the hidpi support is gone from obs in these builds
Though it may not be ideal, you can always build from source if you want the latest offerings from the official repository.