Question / Help Stream and Record at different qualities = lag. Help!

Klaudez

Hi,

I recently decided that while streaming I wanted to record at a higher quality. If we take GTA V as an example, I can stream the game fine and record it just fine but once I started doing both (using multiplatform), my stream started taking a massive hit to fps but the game was running fine. How can I fix this? Do I need to upgrade some hardware?

Below are my specs:

Graphics Card : Radeon R9 270x
CPU : Intel Core i7-4790k CPU @ 4.00GHz
Motherboard : B-85 - PRO Gamer
Ram : 8GB

OBS Multiplatform Settings

Stream

Encoder: x264
Resolution: 1280x720
Bitrate: 2500
Keyframe Interval: 2
Use CBR: Checked
CPU Preset: Veryfast
Profile: Main

Recording

Format: mp4
Enconder: x264 (have also tried using AMD H264 encoder)
Bitrate: 8000
Keyframe interval: 2
Resolution : 1920x1080

Last edited:

Boildown

You should post this on the multiplatform forums instead. And post a log file from a 5 minute or longer attempt when you do that.

dping

You should post this on the multiplatform forums instead. And post a log file from a 5 minute or longer attempt when you do that.
boildown, just @dping me so I can move it.

@Klaudez I moved your thread. Always post a link to your logfile from the help menu of OBS. specifically one where you are replicating the problem you had before

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Streaming and recording at different qualities will always require more resource usage because it has to spawn a second video encoder, and video encoding accounts for the majority of resource usage, so having two at the same time is quite intensive usually, hence the warning in simple output mode. Really requires a top-notch computer

dping

Streaming and recording at different qualities will always require more resource usage because it has to spawn a second video encoder, and video encoding accounts for the majority of resource usage, so having two at the same time is quite intensive usually, hence the warning in simple output mode. Really requires a top-notch computer
or @Klaudez using a hardware encoder for your local recording. you can use AMD encoder or quicksync with windows 8.1 and 10 i believe.