Question / Help Static in my mic when I speak

DEDRICK

Do you have a ReaFir filter on your mic? You should really get a usb audio nterface so you can hook the mic up with XLR and get away from the XLR to 3.5mm connection.

If you ever plan to get a new mic in the future the interface will still be useful. There's a few 1 input options under $100

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/audio-interface-buying-guide/

https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces

Don't go too cheap, research driver issues *cough* Focusrite, read reviews on Amazon. If I were to buy another interface I would probably get the Mackie Onyx Artist, just came out a few months ago

Last edited:

CriticCat

Do you have a ReaFir filter on your mic? You should really get a usb audio nterface so you can hook the mic up with XLR and get away from the XLR to 3.5mm connection.

If you ever plan to get a new mic in the future the interface will still be useful. There's a few 1 input options under $100

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/audio-interface-buying-guide/

https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces

Don't go too cheap, research driver issues *cough* Focusrite, read reviews on Amazon. If I were to buy another interface I would probably get the Mackie Onyx Artist, just came out a few months ago

I don't have the ReaFir filter. I thought my mic was working fine until I listened while there wasn't game noise. Then while listening closer I found that the noise was always there.

I had Filters: Compressor: Default Noise Surpression: 30 Noise Gate: Close - 32 Open - 15 Mic boost: +20db (Mic boost is built into my Windows mic setting)

I did mess with it last night and found that I got rid of the static by turning off the windows mic boost and using a gain filter instead. Only problem now is that the I sound normal but the mic picks up noises like me moving in my chair.

DEDRICK

Set up the ReaJS/Stillwell Expander like I showed you in the last thread, then put Noise suppression, then put the gate and finally the compressor at the end.

The ideal chain would be Expander(You can add gain here with Output Gain)->(suppression optional)->Gate(or add here if you use ReaGate you can add gain by turning up the Wet dial)->Compressor->Limiter.

You want to get rid of unwanted stuff first before hitting the compressor, by putting the compressor first you are boosting your noise which makes it harder for everything else.

Expander is simple.

Threshold - Around -40dB
Ratio - Around 4:1
Detection - RMS instead of Peak
Output Gain - Up to you, if you want to boost here you can
Attack - 3ms
Release - 100ms

Last edited:

CriticCat

Set up the ReaJS/Stillwell Expander like I showed you in the last thread, then put Noise suppression, then put the gate and finally the compressor at the end.

The ideal chain would be Expander(You can add gain here with Output Gain)->(suppression optional)->Gate(or add here if you use ReaGate you can add gain by turning up the Wet dial)->Compressor->Limiter.

You want to get rid of unwanted stuff first before hitting the compressor, by putting the compressor first you are boosting your noise which makes it harder for everything else.

I'll test this setup tonight. As far as the actual settings in each do the defaults work well or is there generally a good amount of tweaking?

DEDRICK

The settings you have will change when you move the compressor to the end, even the compressor threshold and ratio settings. It might not seem like it but the order effects go in is crucial the the way it sounds, and when you add gain it affects every effect that uses a threshold after it.

Ideally you get a good signal coming, do some cleanup with an EQ and some form of noise reduction.
From here if you want a little bit more gain you can add it because you have cleaned up the noise.
Then you can add a gate for the random stuff like your keyboard or chair.
Then you add the compressor to tame your level changes, bring your peaks down and add some make up gain to increase clarity and bring your voice up front.
Then you can do some tonal EQ adjustments and finally slap on a limiter to make sure you don't exceed 0dB.

This isn't in OBS but it is using ReaPlugs and my chain is in this very order. Disregard the compressor at the top, that is applied to my desktop device, everything from Expander down is my mic.

My threshold settings are based on my Input level, they might not be ideal. I didn't apply make up gain to the compressor because I added the gain before it on the gate.

https://imgur.com/a/cGenV

Last edited:

CriticCat

This is all good stuff. The order was something I wasn't quite understanding, but now I do. I'll set this up tonight and when I'm confident the mic is setup properly with and without gameplay noise I'll update my final setup to hopefully help others :D

CriticCat

I got it to improve a little. Again my voice is clear and sounds good, but there's that metal flutter in the background when I speak. Am I talking too closely maybe?

New Audio Sample:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CrypticConfidentOxBabyRage

Note: I did setup the Downward Expander too. Not sure if I should keep adjusting that?

In one scenario I mimicked your setup entirely and still had that metal flutter/squeaking.

Do you think the Mackie Onyx would solve my issue? I'm ready to just throw money at this to make it go away. I feel like I'm super close, with my voice and background noise sounding perfectly fine for me, but that static/squeak in the background won't go away.

Last edited:

DEDRICK

The noise itself is coming from a combination of the connection you are using (XLR to 3.5mm) and Noise Suppression filter.

The Mackie or any other audio interface will allow you to connect XLR over USB, with a dedicated microphone pre-amp to give the mic 48V phantom power and lots of clean gain. XLR is balanced so it is shielded from interference, and pre-amps give a ton of clean gain boost, even your $20 mic when powered properly can sound better. You also future proof yourself if you decide to get a better mic in the future.

All microphones will pick up room noise no matter how you connect/power them, but how and when the microphone is amplified changes the signal to noise ratio.

I can't hear the clip right now as I am at work but I will listen when I get home

CriticCat

Thank you for all your help. I purchased the Mackie Onyx Artist 1-2 says it'll arrive Sunday, which ironically is my next stream. Hoping this helps my immediate problem and as you say, it future proofs myself, which is a good point :D

With the Mackie Onyx do I need a Gain filter or is the Gain on the Mackie what I'd use instead?

Last edited:

DEDRICK

Key things to note when using a USB interface.

1. You need an XLR to XLR cable, Female to Male of whatever length, standard mic cable. Do not use an XLR to TRS cable, it will not work.

2. Make sure you get the latest USB drivers from the website.

3. It adds both a Playback and Recording device, make sure the sample rates match each other (Properties/Advanced) and your OBS sample rate. 48000Hz or 44100Hz, don't use 96000 or 192000 even though the device supports it.

4. Leave the Playback and Recording Device it adds in Windows set to 100%, use the gain knob to control mic input level, the phones knob to control your headphone level, the Mackie also has a Output/Line Out for Speakers.

100% Recording is critical for getting your input levels correct, when you turn it down in Windows you aren't hearing the mic at unity, you're not hearing it at the same level as the interface.

100% Playback is the same level OBS hears your desktop audio, OBS ignores your Windows master level so leaving it at 100% ensures what you hear is what OBS hears. Use application volume controls to turn stuff down.

5. Your microphone will be Mono, outputting out only on the left side. You will need to use the Downmix to Mono option in OBS to center the mic.

6. If possible, don't run it on the same USB bus as your webcam. put one on USB 2.0, the other on 3.0

7. Your microphone is a condenser, you will need to turn on 48V phantom power on the interface.

More on setting your mic input level, disable your filters and set the mic to 100% in OBS mixer.
Using the fancy new meters in OBS, turn the gain knob up and start speaking normally. Aim for the peak of your meter just bouncing around the -18dB and -9dB area(right where the color changes.)

Then start speaking with a little bit more excitement and keep an eye on the peak level, if you are hitting near 0dB you will need to back your gain off a little. You want a strong level that doesn't clip when you act out a bit, you need to leave some headroom.

Next, add the Expander, don't add Noise Suppression or any gain filters, add your gate, add your compressor.

If set correctly the compressor will bring your peak levels down, probably below -9dB, so add some Wet Gain or Output gain on the compressor to bring your levels back up. You want the little black PPM marker to be around -25 to -20, this is your average level, your peak you want well under 0dB, -6dB is a good target.

If your peak level is high but your average level is low, add wet gain on the Gate or lower the threshold (as in -23 to -30) and ratio on the compressor and add more output gain. Compressors are complicated at first but once you understand what they do it makes sense.

After setting everything up, if at any point you then want to turn down your overall mic output level, do so on the OBS mixer. Don't touch your interface, Windows or Filter gain controls, this will throw off your threshold settings and you will have to adjust everything.

Last edited:

Lucky XIII

To be on a budget I would recommend a ~$50 Nady SCM 800, ~$20 Neweer 48V Phantom Power Supply, and a nice little program called $FREE VoiceMeeter. I have reference Videos where you can hear the sweet nice clean sound of the mic. Of course you may need a ~$10-$80 small desk mounted boom and a ~$10-$50 shock mount. Looking at about $125ish USD.

CriticCat

So in OBS will I select the new Playback/Recording devices as my audio input that the Mackie creates? I got the XLR to XLR cable too, why does it require it if it already has a XLR input?

also, thank you Lucky for the advice, I'll take a look at those as well.

CriticCat

Something I just noticed after the Expander was added was that it'll drop a word every now and then. Would this be because of my noise gate setting? I used the settings you supplied earlier.

DEDRICK

The interface only accepts mics on XLR, so your cable will need an XLR Male(Interface end) to XLR Female(Mic end) but you said you got one so you are good to go,

Word drops would be from a gate, increase your hold time and or release time, or lower your Open threshold. It's less likely to be from the expander but it would be the threshold if it was.

I noticed you don't use headphones, your desktop device will be whatever you listen on, mic will be the Mackie

Last edited:

CriticCat

Quick update. So I got my Mackie yesterday. However, new developments. I found that opening OBS with my mic plugged in had this static issue. If I opened OBS then plugged my mic in, the static goes away. Does this have to do with the filters being applied when the mic is plugged in vs when it's already present? I'm still going to setup the Mackie as I feel this is a 3.5mm connection problem.

DEDRICK

Someone reported something similar, where removing then re-adding filters made their artifacts go away. There may be some weird Windows 10,Sound driver or OBS issue happening

CriticCat

Someone reported something similar, where removing then re-adding filters made their artifacts go away. There may be some weird Windows 10,Sound driver or OBS issue happening

I had the filters still on the whole time, but opening OBS, unplugging my mic and plugging it back in worked. I had unplugged/replugged my mic before but never while OBS was already opened. Weird how having it plugged in before OBS was opened cause that noise. Hopefully the Mackie removes this issue of having to do that at all.

DEDRICK

It should, but don't forget to disable your filters when you get back into OBS, you will need to redo most of them

CriticCat

Just an update!

That Mackie Onyx Artist is amazing! I finally sound normal on my stream. Doesn't sound fuzzy, volume is good, no hiss, no static, no robotic. The gain nob is a bit touchy, but it's pretty amazing the change so far!

Thank you for the recommendation!