Question / Help "Starting the output failed" NVENC

Grantismus

Hi OBS Community,

my name is Grant and I've got to record some gameplay for myself. It'd probably work, if only this weird error wouldn't come up every single time... Okay, like, I have this issue already since June 2017 or something like that, but I didn't care about that. But now, since Bendy and the Ink Machine Chapter 5 comes out tomorrow already, I do care... so, I've got a Nvidia Geforce 840m and don't stop reading at this point. It really worked back then, until an OBS update came out. I don't know why it actually worked, but with the NVENC, I had never ever a problem recording some stuff. Since I had this issue, I recorded with x264 but recording actual games on my computer doesn't really work out with x264... help.

Attachments

• 2018-10-25 16-22-54.txt
    8.3 KB · Views: 11

Narcogen

The stream doesn't prove anything. Now, if you had the OBS log from that video... but as Osiris said, the hardware that makes NVENC work is not present in that card. You probably thought you had turned NVENC on but hadn't, or perhaps turned it on for streaming instead of recording, so you thought you were using it, but you were actually using either quicksync (if you also have intel graphics) or software x264.

Grantismus

You probably thought you had turned NVENC on but hadn't, or perhaps turned it on for streaming instead of recording, so you thought you were using it, but you were actually using either quicksync (if you also have intel graphics) or software x264.
I think I'd have noticed that I turned on quicksync. My pc crashes when I use quicksync xd But I really don't know how to prove it. It's a year ago, I resetted my pc several times... but I really had turned this on, no shit. I'm trying now some settings for x264. Thanks for your help, tho...