Question / Help Stable 30FPS Recording? Let's figure it out...

Bollockser

I've had mixed results with OBS thus far. All I want to do is Record from my webcam - not stream or video chat.
Running a Logitech c930e, encodes its own H.264 stream.

I would like some help attaining a stable frame rate. 720p or 1080p, doesnt matter as long as the video is SMOOTH.
I bought this webcam to record me and my buddies' band practice. No good when our drummer's arms become a blurry mess at low FPS.

I'm using a 2010 Mac Mini with 8GB RAM, a brand new SSD with plenty of free space.
I have read some other threads and I'm wondering if USB 3.0 might solve the problems?
I also own a 2012 Mac Mini which has USB 3.0 and way better performance.

I don't care which OS I have to use - If Windows is going to give me better results I will dual-boot the Mac.

What data rate should I be choosing for various resolutions?
Should I use window capture or screen capture and then crop it?

I have tinkered with several programs now and quite honestly this is getting maddening that I can't get a stable 30fps, and I know it's not the camera's fault it is the software.

When I use Quicktime > New Movie Recording, quality "high", the performance is terrible.
When I use Quicktime > New Movie Recording, quality "maximum", the performance is as it should be - but I can't afford 75GB/hour.

Anyone who could spell it out step by step to get a stable 30FPS would make my day!!
Thank you!

dodgepong

Administrator
Community Helper
Step 1 is to make sure you don't run the camera at 1080p. It's not designed to be run at 1080p in a program like OBS.

Can you post your log?