Sound Settings for 8MM Camcorder

BushPilot

I can record video and sound from my old 8mm Sony camcorder (thru USB) but sound no longer plays through OBS while recording. Playback does have sound. Any suggestions on OBS sound settings?

The flip out video screen on the camcorder has a volume control, which effects the OBS recording sound. Should I turn the volume all the way up or keep at a medium setting for recording?

carlmmii

Click the gear next to the audio track in the mixer section, and select the "Monitor and Output" option for the drop-down. That will output the audio to the desktop, as well as record it.

For the volume level, you want to make sure the volume is high enough so that it is in the yellow, but not high enough that the loudest portions reach the top-end of red. If that happens, that's called clipping, and is irreversible.

BushPilot

Click the gear next to the audio track in the mixer section, and select the "Monitor and Output" option for the drop-down. That will output the audio to the desktop, as well as record it.

For the volume level, you want to make sure the volume is high enough so that it is in the yellow, but not high enough that the loudest portions reach the top-end of red. If that happens, that's called clipping, and is irreversible.

Thank you. I found "Monitor and Output" in Advanced Properties.
I have a question: I have three tracks showing in the Audio Mixer. One is my project, another is "Desktop audio" and the other "Mic/Aux". Does it matter or do I need to turn one or more off? I'm capturing 8mm video through my USB port.

Last edited:

carlmmii

If you're only transferring your 8mm tapes to digital format, you should remove the Desktop Audio and Mic/Aux, or just mute them.

BushPilot

I've tried many settings and 4 different capture cards. Only one seemed to keep the sound in sync but the video capture was terrible. The rest start lagging the sound behind and gets worse the longer the capture. I'm about to give up. This was using RCA to USB capture devices.