Question / Help [solved] VoiceMeeter virtual output ignored, desktop used instead?

BOLL

Hello! I'm not sure in what end this problem lies, but it seems to be working with other apps. I'll explain.

I use VoiceMeeter Banana to manage my sound. I thought it would be neat to have audio ducking etc using the macro buttons. But, when I have set all of this up I ran into trouble.

There are two virtual outputs, B1 and B2, while these outputs work just fine to use with other apps when I use them as inputs in OBS Studio the gain is ignored and my microphone is not heard in either of them.

It's super odd. I've checked that I have no advanced audio options set, no channel filtering set, I've tried both 44.1 KHz and 48 KHz. (Desktop 2 used only for testing)

l7NgGRY.png

SyptvEf.png

When I record with Audacity from the same virtual outputs as OBS Studio I get my audio ducking and microphone(s) as they should sound, but OBS Studio still records the raw desktop feed without modification.

I'm using OBS Studio 0.15.2 (I haven't upgraded because people on Twitter had problems with NVENC in an update, perhaps it's fixed now) and VoiceMeeter Banana 2.0.3.0.

If anyone has experience with this I'd be happy to hear it, even if it was never solved! I'm growing gray hair here!

Here is my VoiceMeeter setup, B1 is what goes out to my VoIP apps and that works just fine. B2 goes to capture, again it works fine with Audacity but not OBS Studio.

EpoVr8g.png

I apparently managed to upload a log-file, perhaps that can be analyzed for something.

Extra: Interesting enough the old OBS behaves the exact same way as OBS Studio, and Adobe Audition like Audacity, OBS seems to record just raw desktop while Audition records the feed with audio ducking and my microphone.

Attachments

• 2016-09-04 18-03-43.txt
    22 KB · Views: 615

BOLL

Oh, wow, well that's what I get for doing this way too tired! Such a simple error and solution, but I was (as is typical for an adult) thinking it was a much more complicated error! Doh!

Thanks a bunch vburel, I would be pulling my hair out for a long time without you pointing it out :P

For anyone who wonders, the reason why I somehow recorded a raw desktop feed is because that's exactly what I picked. I didn't realize I should have used a microphone channel for my main mix. I'm rethinking my setup too, and will probably pipe all three of my sources (mic, VoIP, desktop) as three separate devices as I get more freedom adjusting them for the stream/recording specifically, wouldn't have thought about that unless I had bumped into this issue. I can't add very much gain in VMB so the filters in OBS helps out there.

Edit: I feel extra stupid because I picked the right recording devices in both Audacity and Audition, because there I only got to pick between what counts as microphones/inputs and not the virtual input-outputs, as it were. Doh :P

pvhaus

Pseudo-misleading: "Instead of selecting Voicemeeter Input (which are playback device to send audio to Voicemeeter virtual strip) you may select Voicemeeter Output (BUS B1 and B2 output)"

It may seem un-intuitive, but you cannot select "Voicemeeter Output" from a "Audio Output Capture".
You only see "Voicemeeter Input" options in "Audio Output Capture".
To see "Voicemeeter Output" you have to use a "Audio Input Capture".

So, to be more precise: Instead of selecting "Voicemeeter Input" in an "Audio Output Capture", try creating a "Audio Input Capture" and selecting "Voicemeeter Output".

That seems to work for me, although it seems like the invert of how normal capturing audio from the Speaker works.