Question / Help [SOLVED] "Set Base Resolution" Missing From OSB Stuido?

Toddtj

So I've been using OBS a ton in the last couple months but I just realized a few days ago that the copy of the software I was using was actually almost 5 years out of date X_X

I'm having trouble adjusting and could use some help figuring out how to make due without the "Set Base Resolution" button that used to exist. I mostly record playthroughs of classic games (NES, Genesis, GBC, etc) and I can't get the new settings to work for me. I want to *only* record the emulator window and I want to record it at whatever resolution it happens to be at. The VisualBoyAdvanced emulator I'm using right now doesn't even have preset window size settings, it just allows you to grab and drag the corner to whatever you like. Normally I'd open the emulator and the rom, stretch the emulator window to whatever size I feel like that day, hit "Set Base Resolution" on the correct source, and away we go (or used to go). But now the only resolution settings I can find are "Base (Canvas) Resolution" and "Output (Scaled) Resolution". But I don't want my output to be scaled AT ALL, I just want it to stay whatever resolution I recorded it at but I don't see any setting for this. Also, I don't want my canvas to be any larger than the single source I'm recording. I construct my scene in Sony Vegas later, I just want to record a single window in OBS.

How do I go about accomplishing this with OBS Studio?

Toddtj

How do I do that though? The only options I'm given for the size of the canvas are 1920x1080 and 1280x720 and nothing I currently record is either of those resolutions. How do I manually set the canvas size to be specifically whatever I want it to be?
Untitled.png

koala

Just click into the text and enter a custom resolution yourself.
The contents of the dropdown list is only a proposal, some sane and often used defaults.

In every app, in every GUI, don't open dropdown lists by clicking on the down arrow. Always try opening them by clicking directly on the text field first. Only if it doesn't drop down, click on the arrow. This way, you always see which dropdown list has hardcoded text and which dropdown list you can enter custom text.

Toddtj

Ooooh, I see! Thank you so much, I appreciate the help and the tip.

For what it's worth, re-adding in the Set Base Resolution button would be really nice, in my opinion, as it would make this process so much easier and from what I've heard the button was only removed because misinformed people were using it incorrectly and screwing up their streams. The issue from my understanding was education rather than the feature being faulty or outdated so I'd love to see a solution that educates rather than removing the option all together. Just my humble 2 cents.

Thanks again!