Question / Help [SOLVED] Microphone audio very poor only when recording through OBS

Valthero

Good day, friends.

I noticed today that my microphone audio quality is very poor while recording through OBS, but not through any other programs. For example, here is a clip of the audio through OBS: https://youtu.be/tBdlmWDCsuU
And here is the very same audio, recorded simultaneously through Audacity: https://youtu.be/0H_AXnu0eB4

This was not an issue previously; I have not changed any of my settings since the last time I recorded, roughly a week ago. Here is my log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/K6DpWntWSWxKPLB5
EDIT: Here is another log file of my actual gaming session where I discovered this issue: https://obsproject.com/logs/opgHqXv74iX-FZGG

And screenshots of my audio settings:

ISn2HVn.png

q835Www.png

The only filter I have on my microphone input is a Gain +7.5 filter. I tried removing this filter, to no avail. My microphone is an Audio-Technica AT2020, going through a Mackie Onyx Blackjack 2x2 phantom power supply. OBS is version 23.1.0 64-bit Windows. I am running Windows 8.1

Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. I would be happy to provide whatever additional information is required. Thank you for your time.

koala

The bad audio appears as recorded by a microphone far away from the speaker, recording the whole room. The good audio appears as someone directly speaking into a microphone that is about 10 cm away. In you log, you appear to have a webcam that also comes with a microphone. Make sure you don't record the mic of your webcam instead of the standalone mic. You can rule out this by simply disconnecting the webcam. Whatever microphone is left, is your standalone mic.

Valthero

The bad audio appears as recorded by a microphone far away from the speaker, recording the whole room. The good audio appears as someone directly speaking into a microphone that is about 10 cm away. In you log, you appear to have a webcam that also comes with a microphone. Make sure you don't record the mic of your webcam instead of the standalone mic. You can rule out this by simply disconnecting the webcam. Whatever microphone is left, is your standalone mic.

You were right! The audio was being picked up through my webcam, even though I properly had my mic set as the audio traveling through my Onyx device. It appears that a new audio source had inserted itself in the Mixer, labeled "LOL".

eI3IJxn.png

Once I muted this input, everything works perfectly again! Quite odd, but there you have it. Thank you very much.

Rodlash

Hey Guys.
I have a problem that i cant fix it i have ps3 camera that i use it for recording my audio but when i want to record my audio in obs for stream or anything else there is a robot sound behind me like ghosts are talking but when i record with other driver like voicemod this doesnt happen or in discord with same driver (not voicemod in discord) can please someone help me i tried all the ways but it doesnt fix it. it only reduce it.

FerretBomb

Hey Guys.
I have a problem that i cant fix it i have ps3 camera that i use it for recording my audio but when i want to record my audio in obs for stream or anything else there is a robot sound behind me like ghosts are talking but when i record with other driver like voicemod this doesnt happen or in discord with same driver (not voicemod in discord) can please someone help me i tried all the ways but it doesnt fix it. it only reduce it.
You should open your own new thread instead of resurrecting and hijacking someone else's from last year. Include a logfile of a streaming or recording session where it was happening, too.

psycfitness

I am experiencing the same problem - my mic sounds great when I speak - but the recording through OBS is exceedingly bad - similar to the sound from Rodlash.

I have muted my webcam audio.

Roadlash - di you solve the issue? What did you do?

devilbeetroot

OMG YES FINALLY!!! Thaks so much!!!!