Question / Help [SOLVED: It was the ancient video card] Two nearly identical Mac Pros, vastly different CPU usage

doctormelodious

Yup, it was the ancient NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT video card. Replaced it with another ATI Radeon HD 2600xt, and all is groovy now.

I have another open thread about the inability of OBS Studio to display my C922 cam at anything greater than 640 x 480.

The machine in question is an 8-core Mac Pro Early 2008 (MacPro3,1) running El Capitan. I'll call this Mac #1.

Now I have also installed OBS Studio on my other Mac Pro Early 2008 (Mac #2, also a MacPro3,1) which is also running El Capitan, and is nearly identical to the one I posted about before, with these significant exceptions:

Mac #1: two quad-core Intel Xeon processors running at 3 GHz, 6GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (the card that shipped with it, and which Apple used to replace at no charge due to failure; but this one still works)
Mac #2: two quad-core Intel Xeon processors running at 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 2600xt (the one Apple would replace the NVIDIA card with)

Now, on Mac #2 (slightly slower CPU but way more RAM), OBS Studio runs just fine. Cams work at all resolutions. Activity Monitor shows about 10% CPU usage, and about 96 MB RAM usage.

On Mac #1 (slightly faster CPU, but way less RAM), OBS Studio not only can't display the C922 at anything over 640 x 480, but even at that resolution the video is very laggy and jerky. Activity Monitor shows 112% CPU usage, and about 193 MB RAM usage. Also, elements only display within a limited area in the top left quadrant or so of the preview screen. If I drag a video source (or a browser) farther to the left or farther down from that area, it disappears and I'm left with only the red rectangle showing where it's supposed to be.

In the CPU Usage Window in Activity Monitor, both machines show a similar, continuously updating display of how the load is distributed across the eight cores. The levels are minimal.

Can anyone tell me why there is such a vast difference? Does the disparity in RAM between the two Macs affect CPU usage? Again, while Mac #1 is using twice the RAM of Mac #2, the number is still tiny compared to the amount of installed RAM. Also, might the difference in graphics cards play into this?

Thanks!
DM

Last edited:

doctormelodious

My suspicion all along has been that the video card was the culprit, or at least the main one. This article bears that out:

GPUs such as the nVidia GTX 200-series (250, 260, 280) and 9800GT and earlier were once very powerful in their day, but are now very old cards that will make OBS performance suffer greatly.

The other day I bought another ATI Radeon HD 2600xt (which, while still not a new card, is working quite well on Mac #2) on eBay. Should be arriving tomorrow. Film at eleven...