Bug Report [SOLVED: It was the ancient video card] C922 cam won't work at higher than 640 x 480 in OBS 23.0.1

doctormelodious

Leaving this thread here on the odd chance that someone else encounters this problem when using old hardware. These 8-core mac Pros still have a lot of life left in them—I still use my other one for audio production—but the original video card that shipped with them (NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT) is not cut out for OBS Studio. I replaced it in my streaming machine-to-be with an ATI Radeon HD 2600xt (same card that's in my audio production Mac Pro which works fine with OBS Studio), and the problem was solved.

Greetings,

I'm running OBS Studio 23.0.1 on a Mac Pro running El Capitan. When I add either of my two C922 cams as Video Capture Devices, at the 1280 x 720 setting the preview in the Properties window shows a still pic consisting of random colors and fragments of images. I have tried recording in OBS, and the video was an "animated" version of the aforementioned, with the colors flashing (but no actual moving camera images). In the main screen, there was only a black area outlined in red, where the cam preview should be.

Only when I set the resolution to 640 x 480 or lower does the camera show up properly in the Properties window.

I tried moving the cams to various USB ports, and the results were the same.

The Auto-Configuration Wizard did not fix the problem either. I actually ran that to begin with. It was only when I saw that the cams wouldn't work that I started altering different settings, but nothing worked.

**HOWEVER, when I recorded a movie in QuickTime player at maximum quality, 1920 x 1080, the live camera looked perfect in the preview window, and the video played back perfectly.**

How can I capture my cams at 1280 x 720 in OBS Studio?

I tried the latest (as of this post, 23.1) but the results were the same.

Thanks,
DM

EDIT (one of about a million!): I've also attached the Video Settings that were set by Auto-Configuration Wizard. Altering these didn't fix the problem.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 10.22.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 10.22.16 PM.png
    351.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.17.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 11.17.31 PM.png
    54.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited: