Question / Help (Solved) AMD VCE Recordings have far higher CPU usage during playback

Update: This fixed my problem (setting keyframe interval to 1):
can you set custom flags with VCE? I don't know how that GPU stuff works. But if you can, try setting "keyint" to 1, I've had editors choke on x264vfw streams (while others didn't) and changing the keyint resolved it for the most part.

Original post:
I'm not sure if this is a bug with OBS or my computer, but when trying to play back a video recorded with VCE, whatever is trying to play it back (Movie Studio 13 Platinum or the default Windows 10 player) CPU usage spikes. In MS13 Plat's case, the usage spikes to 80% right after loading in the video, program stops responding, and some time later it will start responding and continue playback. Same thing happens if I try to jump forwards or backwards.
For the default player, usage spikes to 20% (one core going full blaze?), stops responding (for all intents and purposes), then eventually it continues playing.

Specs:
CPU: FX-6300 (6 core 3.5GHz)
GPU: R9 380
RAM: G.Skill DDR3-1600
(If anymore specs are needed, let me know)

What is EXTREMELY odd about this is that x264 encoding, with the exact same settings (literally just changing from VCE to x264 in Output > Recording, nothing else), does not produce this problem.

Anything for me to try? I'm recording to mp4, as that's the best container for me.

Log: https://gist.github.com/f64d88a3d9c2517a780e

Again, any help at all is greatly appreciated, even if it's just some random tips to try.

Last edited:

Blink

can you set custom flags with VCE? I don't know how that GPU stuff works. But if you can, try setting "keyint" to 1, I've had editors choke on x264vfw streams (while others didn't) and changing the keyint resolved it for the most part.

I'm... I don't even know. Grateful is an understatement, ha ha.
While VCE doesn't have custom parameters, I can set the keyframe interval. Setting it to 1 solved... everything. No hiccups, no stutters, no buffers, nothing.
Thank you very, very, very much! I wonder why a keyframe interval of 0 would make CPU usage skyrocket?

Again, thank you very much! :D