Slow upload speeds only in OBS

Emile Erasmus

I am using a desktop PC and it is connected to the router via ethernet port. I am currently trying to upload from OBS Studios on to Twitch, but for some reason I am getting extremely low upload speeds. I have a 25 Mbps fibre connection for both upload and download, but as soon as I try to upload from OBS my speeds drop to around 400 - 3000 kbps. I cannot get it any higher.

I have followed the connection issue guide and there was no improvement. I have tried other ethernet cables, different router ports, contacting my ISP, opening ports on my firewall as well as disabling my firewall and antivirus completely.

The only thing that actually worked, was using specific VPN software, where my upload speeds went up to 6000 Kbps, but the servers on that application are very unstable and drop a lot.

Attached are the log files, traceroutes, upload and download speed tests and also a Twitch bandwidth test to all the closest servers.

Can anyone help me with this, because the Discord forums are useless. There are just people spamming messages that no one can be helped.

Attachments

• 2020-12-05 14-20-12.txt
    18.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Traceroute to Amsterdam Servers.png
    Traceroute to Amsterdam Servers.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 282
  • Traceroute.png
    Traceroute.png
    43.2 KB · Views: 287
  • Download speed test.png
    Download speed test.png
    117.9 KB · Views: 293
  • Upload speed test.png
    Upload speed test.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 317
  • twitch Badwidth Test.png
    twitch Badwidth Test.png
    47.2 KB · Views: 306

Emile Erasmus

I have tried connecting with the OBS network setting enabled and disabled and it had no effect. The dynamic bitrate just lowered my stream quality when my frames started to drop.

Also I have updated my network drivers from both Windows 10 Device Manager and directly downloading the software from the manufacturer's website.

Nass86

Hey did you fix this?

I’ve been having an issue since November like this.
Upload / download speed tests are slower on windows than my macs but they are at workable speeds (an 8 Meg connection tests upload speed at 3mb or 4mb sometimes 2mb - it’s a bit all over)

however, the minute I try and stream on OBS - or use twitch stream test - I’m consistently getting 700-1300kbs

it’s like the connection is being really strangled but only when I choose to stream

Emile Erasmus

Hey did you fix this?

I’ve been having an issue since November like this.
Upload / download speed tests are slower on windows than my macs but they are at workable speeds (an 8 Meg connection tests upload speed at 3mb or 4mb sometimes 2mb - it’s a bit all over)

however, the minute I try and stream on OBS - or use twitch stream test - I’m consistently getting 700-1300kbs

it’s like the connection is being really strangled but only when I choose to stream
Hey, yeah I did sort of...

So my issue was purely the connection between OBS Studio and Twitch.tv. I have no idea why. So now I am using another site called restream.io. I linked my Twitch account to this site, and then instead of using the Twitch stream key, you use the restream stream key in OBS Studio.

My upload speed increased from an average of 1.5 Mbps to roughly 13 Mbps.

I don't know if this will help at all for anyone else, but it did for me.

Let me know if you tried this, and if it actually helped.

Lawrence_SoCal

Hey, yeah I did sort of...
So my issue was purely the connection between OBS Studio and Twitch.tv. I have no idea why. So now I am using another site called restream.io.

That means the issue had nothing to do with OBS, or even anything inside your location (ie not your PC, router, modem, etc). But rather either the specific Twitch ingest server you were sending to (or Twitch picked for you), or more likely a path issue (which you have no influence over) that your ISP used to get to the Twitch server(s). Sometimes picking an alternate ingest server can cause an alternate network traffic route (and therefore possibly bypass a bottleneck, even if that server isn't as close... lowest latency isn't the only thing that matters).

This is why @FerretBomb is frequently referring to running PingPlotter (or similar) to trace your exact path through your ISP to Internet to destination network, to destination server, and identifying bottlenecks. Public Peering points run the gamut of high-performance, well-maintained, to overloaded messes. Private Peering arrangements is one way around such Interchanges, BUT depends on your geographic location, ISP, and other factors how your Internet traffic gets routed and whether that routing will be a problem or not.
In the case of traffic routing to restream.io ok (or anything else), but direct not working, *IF* you have a cooperative ISP, then they can work with you to address an issue like this (or they can tell you to blow off. they aren't obligated to fix a problem like this, even though maybe they should... get obnoxious/act entitled, and an ISP may retaliate by declaring your streaming to be acting like a server (which is true in a sense) and therefore a violation of terms of usage (ISP and service level/contract dependent)... ymmv

actuallyodin

Just wanted to say, I've recently been dealing with this problem and switching my OBS setting from manually choosing a twitch server too a server i picked worked immediately. Could barely sustain a 3.5k bitrate stream on a 14k upload connection. With the new server my stream is back up to 6k with 0 dropped frames.