Question / Help Skype and Echo

Enigmisth

Good morning,
Sorry for my English.

I installed and configured OBS for streaming on Facebook.
As a second source I added Skype NDI and it works with everyone except one person.
There is a person who uses skype on Android produces so much echo and I do not understand why.

Has anyone had this problem?
Are there alternatives to Skype?

Narcogen

Is that person using a headset? If not, they should. Likely they have their handset volume so loud their microphone is picking up the output from the phone's speaker.

Enigmisth

We tried both with and without headset, the result does not change there is echo.

The call is only made over the phone, so there is no other audio source nearby.

Narcogen

If only one participant is affected then the likelihood is that the echo is caused on their side.

Enigmisth

That's true, but the skype app for Android doesn't have many settings.

I'm trying to understand what could cause your device to cause problems with OBS

Narcogen

If the Skype user causes echo, OBS will get echo. If I set up a phone in speakerphone mode, or pump computer audio through speakers aimed right at my microphone, that will cause echo and OBS won't be able to do anything about it.

Narcogen

Of note:

All similar programs are potentially susceptible to echo for the same reasons; just switching from Skype doesn't address them since the fundamental cause of the echo is not Skype itself.

While Skype's NDI implementation is not the best, most alternatives to Skype have no such integration at all.

Enigmisth

I discovered that if I turn off the Skype NDI and acquire ONLY the Skype audio, always on the OBS NDI source, the echo disappears.

So there is something wrong with the Skype setting on my pc, or is the OBS NDI plugin that has some configuration problems

Narcogen

There are no "options" for the plugin to configure. It presents the NDI feeds that exist on your system and passes them to OBS. What is in them is entirely up to the application sending them, which in this case, is Skype.