Sky.go is able to "hide" video stream

alterx

Hello there,
I have just discovered that sky.go application is able to "hide" video when detects a tool like OBS is running in the system. That is technically awesome and I would like to understand how it does it and also scary because I cannot capture it either when using desktop capture!
So I have some ideas:
1. Recompile OBS using a different name and title and so on, so process is not recognizable (unfortunately it did not work; it is still able to hide it)
2. Running sky.go in a VM and capture from the host system (not done because I think it will not be qualitative)
3. Understand how sky.go does it with your expertise and improve OBS as well

EDIT: I think is somehow able to use some filtering from DirectShow but I just guess it, since I don't have video/audio knowledge.

Someone knows more about above?

Thanks

Last edited:

koala

This is due to DRM. It's not a mechanics to detect specific capturing apps, it's an operating system mechanics to protect the frame buffer with copyrighted video data from access of any app.

There is no way to circumvent, and OBS isn't made as a way to circumvent copy protection. The devs don't accept patches that would.

Anyway, there is actually no way to "patch" or "recompile" any capturing app to circumvent, because it's a hardware-enforced protection. The DRM-protection even reaches up to your monitor. If you try to circumvent the direct capture from the frame buffer and instead use a hdmi capture capture card to grab the monitor signal of DRM-protected video material, you see the same hiding. It's just a blank space where the video should be.

alterx

This is due to DRM. It's not a mechanics to detect specific capturing apps, it's an operating system mechanics to protect the frame buffer with copyrighted video data from access of any app.

There is no way to circumvent, and OBS isn't made as a way to circumvent copy protection. The devs don't accept patches that would.

Anyway, there is actually no way to "patch" or "recompile" any capturing app to circumvent, because it's a hardware-enforced protection. The DRM-protection even reaches up to your monitor. If you try to circumvent the direct capture from the frame buffer and instead use a hdmi capture capture card to grab the monitor signal of DRM-protected video material, you see the same hiding. It's just a blank space where the video should be.
Hello thanks for the info,
I did not think of DRM...I thought was more an ad-hoc protection, although I have seen some suggestions on software that are able to do it