Question / Help Single PC stream looks choppy i7 8700k

saintstv

Good evening everybody,

I'm very demanding regarding streams, i like to watch a crisp clean stream with decent quality. But this is not whats happening to mine, my stream appears to be rendering slowly, i have tried any enconding below Fast and that makes the stream lag since my CPU apparently can't handle it while playing PUBG/Fortnite/Overwatch.
Here's the last stream with Overwatch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/262433453
Here's the last stream with PUBG: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/261822787

Last OBS log atached.

Pc specs:

- i7 8700k overclocked to 4.7ghz
- Strix 1060 6gb overclocked
-2x8GB Hyperx Fury 2400mhz
-Cooler Corsair h80i v2

Internet - 200mb Down | 20mb Upload

If by any means this is the best i can get with a single pc setup let me know, appreciate any feedback. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2018-05-17 19-18-04.txt
    27.4 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 121471

Disable all GameDVR options under Windows 10 settings, lower CPU preset to "very fast", downscale to 720p@60FPS, set bicubic or Lanczos filter.

If not set yet, enable VSYNC os FPS cap in your games.

Retest stream.

saintstv

Disable all GameDVR options under Windows 10 settings, lower CPU preset to "very fast", downscale to 720p@60FPS, set bicubic or Lanczos filter.

If not set yet, enable VSYNC os FPS cap in your games.

Retest stream.
GameDVR were already disabled, have tried before cpu preset to veryfast or ultrafast (looked blurry), stream is already downscaled to 720p60fps, filter is at lanczos. Native res is 1920x1080. Capping my FPS in-game should help? Im at 144hz and downgrading to 60hz/60fps would be a huge disavantage :\

D

Deleted member 121471

OBS needs some GPU resources to do its job, unfortunately :(

I usually cap my FPS at 60 or 120, depending on the game I'm streaming, I used to have the same issues you're having and this fixed nearly all of them.

saintstv

OBS needs some GPU resources to do its job, unfortunately :(

I usually cap my FPS at 60 or 120, depending on the game I'm streaming, I used to have the same issues you're having and this fixed nearly all of them.
Had no idea that GPU was in this equation, i really barely notice any dropped frames with OBS+PUBG, and i understand your point that if im streaming at 60fps and if my game is running at 120fps, half of those frames aren't getting properly rendered, therefore the choppyness. Thank you for elightening me on this situation. I guess there's nothing i can do if i want to stream and play with my usual framerate in game.

By the way, to anyone out there who's thinking in getting a high core count cpu to stream and play, i used to have a i5-6600k (4cores4threads) and the quality of the stream is pretty much the same as with an overclocked i7-8700k 4.7ghz (6cores12threads) as a single stream PC, only improvement is in-game fps.

Take care Volfield

interspool

Did you get this sorted out? By the way, I am watching your stream examples and I think I know your issue. Are you using Chrome by any chance? Your stream looks nearly flawless (as expected) when I am watching through Edge, on my main (144hz) monitor. Windows has issues playing back streams on secondary monitors of different frame rates. Try watching on your main and through Edge. You should see zero dropped frames.

I am on a Ryzen 1700X and play Fortnite in 1440p, stream in 720p60 @ 6000kbps - Fast preset. I have Process Lasso locking OBS down to only 4 cores so it leeches less into my gaming performance. Unfortunately Fortnite doesn't allow for setting core affinity because of its anti-cheat implementation AFAIK.

My understanding is 8700k and Ryzen 8 core can pretty much run the same stream settings as each other but the 8700k will be getting a few more FPS in-game. It's a great streaming processor.

saintstv

Did you get this sorted out? By the way, I am watching your stream examples and I think I know your issue. Are you using Chrome by any chance? Your stream looks nearly flawless (as expected) when I am watching through Edge, on my main (144hz) monitor. Windows has issues playing back streams on secondary monitors of different frame rates. Try watching on your main and through Edge. You should see zero dropped frames.

I am on a Ryzen 1700X and play Fortnite in 1440p, stream in 720p60 @ 6000kbps - Fast preset. I have Process Lasso locking OBS down to only 4 cores so it leeches less into my gaming performance. Unfortunately Fortnite doesn't allow for setting core affinity because of its anti-cheat implementation AFAIK.

My understanding is 8700k and Ryzen 8 core can pretty much run the same stream settings as each other but the 8700k will be getting a few more FPS in-game. It's a great streaming processor.
Hey Interspool, i see your point regarding 144hz monitors, and i do use Chrome, but i do notice that the VOD looks better and sharper than the Live stream, less "buffery". What i did was to delete all scenes, make new ones with less stuff since i had alot of animated Sources+videos etc.

I'm using FAST preset , 6000kb Bitrate , Keyframe Interval = 2 , Lanczos 32 samples , 720p60fps (looks better than 900p60fps for some reason).
Check my last VOD to see if its something you consider decent in your opinion https://www.twitch.tv/videos/265395684## .

By the way, PUBG its also a game that graphical wise, iits already hard to see enemies and detail in my monitor at 1080p with good settings, so i have come to accept that if its hard for me to see in my monitor, i can imagine that its even harder for one CPU to handle that level of detail and run the game at the same time.

interspool

Try it in Edge and you will see the dropped frames issue! You can see it for yourself. While you are watching someone's live stream, click the Settings wheel, Advanced, "Show Stats for Nerds". Even on my beast machine, I'm still getting tons of dropped frames in Chrome. Also, you may be running into some kind of bandwidth issues watching your Live stream at the same time you are streaming it. I personally get a lot of dropped frames in OBS when watching Twitch at the same time.

Your stream looks great. I have also been running 720p60 Fast and it looks great in Fortnite. Your stream looks the same. Absolutely buttery smooth - watching VOD In Edge of course!

saintstv

Try it in Edge and you will see the dropped frames issue! You can see it for yourself. While you are watching someone's live stream, click the Settings wheel, Advanced, "Show Stats for Nerds". Even on my beast machine, I'm still getting tons of dropped frames in Chrome. Also, you may be running into some kind of bandwidth issues watching your Live stream at the same time you are streaming it. I personally get a lot of dropped frames in OBS when watching Twitch at the same time.

Your stream looks great. I have also been running 720p60 Fast and it looks great in Fortnite. Your stream looks the same. Absolutely buttery smooth - watching VOD In Edge of course!
I had no droped frames in the live stream/vod or in OBS log, what i did notice is that my bitrate is not constant and oscilating between 5400kb to 6400kb. My CBR is set to 6000kb, and i also noticed that when the bitrate lowers the stream and webcam become a little blurry, and that is exactly what im strugling with. Any advice? Thank you for letting me know about that Show Stats!

interspool

I had no droped frames in the live stream/vod or in OBS log, what i did notice is that my bitrate is not constant and oscilating between 5400kb to 6400kb. My CBR is set to 6000kb, and i also noticed that when the bitrate lowers the stream and webcam become a little blurry, and that is exactly what im strugling with. Any advice? Thank you for letting me know about that Show Stats!

The oscillating bitrate is definitely normal even with CBR enabled. It goes above and below. 6000kbps kinda becomes the "average". Webcam is very tough to keep crystal sharp unless you are running insane encoding preset. It happens even at 720p60fps @ Medium for me. The best thing to do is make your webcam frame a little bigger and it will be less noticeable. I think your stream is really good dude, definitely on par with other people who have the same settings.